A pharmacy aide assists pharmacists in filling prescriptions and dispensing medication correctly to patients and medical professionals. Aides may interact directly with both customers and health professionals to collect medical information and prescription details, and can also measure, package and label prescriptions.
When creating a pharmacy aide job description, be sure to include the appropriate on-the-job training or certification from a vocational school. Your state may also require pharmacy workers to pass a criminal background check. Pharmacy aides must show strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
Excellent communication and customer service abilities are also important for pharmacy aides, along with a good grasp of math. It is also helpful for candidates to have basic computer skills. Find out what other information you should include in your own pharmacy aide job description by reading through the example below.
Pharmacy Aide Job Summary
Are you looking for an interesting job that provides excellent training and experience for career advancement in the healthcare field? Join our team as a pharmacy aide and enjoy hands-on work with new challenges and opportunities to further your professional training credentials. You will be working with experienced pharmacists, medical professionals and insurance providers to help improve people’s lives and participate in their medical care. We are passionate about helping our pharmacy aides reach their career aspirations, so we provide formal on-the-job training as well as opportunities to complete professional certification programs. Join our team today and take advantage of flexible hours, competitive pay and support for your ongoing career in healthcare.
- Interact in person and over the phone with customers and healthcare providers to collect information about prescriptions and medical conditions, and arrange private consultations with pharmacists when customers have questions about prescriptions or other health issues
- Locate and measure medication according to prescription information, and make modifications as needed to account for additional instructions from pharmacists and healthcare providers
- Communicate with insurance representatives to process claims, collect information about generic alternatives to brand-name medications and calculate correct co-pay information for customers
- Prepare packaging and labels for prescriptions, ensuring there is complete information relating to dosage, side effects, interactions with other medications and refill instructions
- Monitor inventory levels of all medications to inform pharmacists of shortages and resupply requirements in enough time to meet customers’ needs
- Maintain internal database of patient records by updating entries with current information, including name, prescriptions, medical conditions and insurance information
- Follow all company and legal protocols relating to medication control and dispensing, health record confidentiality and insurance claim procedures
- Assist pharmacists and technicians as needed, including making follow-up calls to customers, doctors and insurance providers, maintaining a clean and orderly stockroom and updating signage
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma plus at least one year of pharmacy work experience
- Ability to pass a criminal background check
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated to learn and improve
- Good attention to detail and organization
- Additional healthcare experience or pharmacy technician certification
Hiring a qualified employee for your company requires more than a well-written pharmacy aide job description. You must place the job listing in locations where qualified and motivated candidates can see it. Most hiring managers see the best results from posting job listings in multiple online locations.
You can choose from several options for posting your job listing online, including free and paid job sites, your company’s official web page and professional social networks. You may also send the listing to your current employees and request personal recommendations of qualified candidates. Going through the posting process for multiple sites can take a good deal of time, but you can simplify your hiring campaign by using MightyRecruiter to post to free job boards.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter