Writing a standout job posting is a significant part of identifying and hiring the best talent. Recruiters and hiring managers should not have to sort through piles of applicants who miss the target. A well-written job description enables you to sift out inexperienced applicants or those not excited to join your team. Taking the time necessary to create an on-target posting before the applications begin streaming into your inbox will save you hours time. Below is a Physician Assistant job description sample to help you compose a good position description.
Physician Assistant Job summary
As part of our professional physician team, you will practice medicine on teams with doctors, surgeons, and other healthcare workers to gain invaluable insight and experience. You will also assess, diagnose, and evaluate treatment plans for patients and perform various additional patient care actions depending on the diagnosis. You will actively facilitate patients’ recovery by applying medical techniques and principles under the direction of a physician. You will offer encouragement and care to a diverse set of patients.
Physician Assistant Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Take comprehensive and detailed patient histories
- Develop medical status reports
- Order diagnostic, radiological, and laboratory studies appropriate for the patient’s condition
- Perform physical examinations and record relevant data in medical forms
- Present medical diagnoses and begin therapy or refer patients to the appropriate physicians or health care facilities
- Begin emergency measures and treatment or proper stabilization actions if necessary
- Order hospital admissions and discharges at the direction of the supervising physician
- Accurately and appropriately transcribe and execute physicians’ orders
- Interpret and assess patient data to plan for patient treatment and management
- Provide guidance and instructions regarding medical care to patients
- Offer emergency medical services during a declared national disaster or emergency
Physician Assistant Skills and Qualifications
- Master’s degree in Physician Assistant Studies, Health Science, or Medical Science
- 1+ year of working experience as a physician assistant
- Knowledge of medical procedures and guidelines concerning assessment, treatment, and recovery
- Experience with improvements in innovative medical technology
- Problem-solving skills and ability to multi-task
- Basic Life Support (BLS) CPR card
- Current DEA registration
- Ability to work effectively under minimal supervision
- Caring and compassionate
- Team player with excellent communication skills
- Strong healthcare background
Founded in 1943, Porter Clinic is a wholly integrated, nonprofit health care hospital in Houston, with over 150 contracted or employed industry-leading physicians. We provide our patients with superior diagnoses and excellent treatment plans for various medical specialties, including internal medicine, cancer, bone and joint, heart, endocrinology and diabetes, gastroenterology, family medicine, geriatric medicine, vascular and urology, and women’s health. We are home to the only multi-disciplinary trauma center in the Southern United States. Porter continually delivers innovative medical technologies and practices to Texas, for issues ranging from acute injuries to surgical or cardiac care. Patients chose Porter for our longstanding commitment and service excellence by contributing the best quality care. We are rated first in the nation for treatment of respiratory infections, strokes, angioplasty, heart attacks, and heart by-pass surgeries.
What to Include in Your Physician Assistant Job Description
You may not know how much information you need to incorporate in the Physician Assistant job description. For example, should you reserve benefits information and salary details for the interview? Is there a limit to the number of responsibilities and skills to list in the job description? Where should you place keywords and relevant search phrases to attract top talent on online postings and job boards? These are all great questions to consider before you draft the posting. Just make sure to include the following sections:
• Title and Summary –A precise and succinct title allows potential applicants to understand the work they will perform. A one to two sentence summary further clarifies the function of the position in the company.
• Responsibilities – This section of the job description identifies general and significant levels of the tasks necessary for progress in the position. For high-level job descriptions, ensure job seekers realize the amount of time each duty requires by including a percentage of time for each responsibility. This will help provide an accurate picture of a day on the job.
• Company Information – Highlight your corporate culture. Prospective applicants need to know if your corporate culture and mission matches their working style. For example, if the job seeker thrives on working independently, but your firm is successful primarily because of teamwork, the job may not be an ideal fit.
• SEO – It is critical to optimize the posting for relevant keyword phrases and terms. Writing a great job description is not useful is no one sees it. A great area to find industry-relevant terms and phrases that job seekers commonly use is Google AdWords. Discover and consolidate the keywords correctly in your position description.
• Call to Action – While a call to action section may be apparent to many employers, many postings skip this part. You must inspire job seekers to take action and apply for the job. Doing so will result in a larger applicant pool. Use compelling action phrases, such as Start a new career – apply now! or, This post is ending soon, so submit your application today!
A precise and brief job description for a Physician Assistant ensures any job seeker seeing it can learn the benefits of working for your company quickly.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter
Writing Your Physician Assistant Job Description: Dos and Don’ts
As the demand for more top performers to fill jobs rises, the best candidates will be flooded with multiple career opportunities. However, writing a job description to attract the best talent will encourage them to apply for your opening. Follow these simple do’s and don’ts to ensure your posting is correct.
• Don’t hire a candidate just because they are prepared to accept a salary below the indicated range.
• Don’t use subjective or discriminatory wording in the position description.
• Do prepare a clear and precise outline of the job, including expertise, talents, and skills necessary for success.
• Do highlight your corporate culture clearly.
• Do list essential functions to give potential applicants an accurate depiction of a regular day in the position.
• Don’t list benefits information or salary ranges if it is against company policy.
A straightforward application process for job seekers allows them to obtain answers to questions quickly and increases the likelihood of attracting top performers. When you post a clear job description, the result is an effortless process of hiring the right person for a Physician Assistant position.
Writing a Job Description Best Practices
- While the above is an excellent Physician Assistant job description sample, there are circumstances where you do not have a guide to follow. Below are some fundamental best practices for those situations, along with practical do’s and don’ts to ensure that you produce an accurate job description the first time, and save yourself the hassle of weeding through piles of inexperienced applicants.
- Do list the responsibilities and duties of the job from general to specific.
- Do include wording to indicate you are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Don’t use language that suggests or states a preference for a particular race, gender, or age.
- Do state position requirements and prerequisites objectively.
- Do include salary and benefits unless it against company policy.
- Do apply a user-friendly format to make your content appealing and more readable to candidates.
- Don’t include anything in the posting that could be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
- Don’t inflate the duties or experience necessary for success in the position.
- Do emphasize your corporate culture to give applicants more reasons to apply.
The Physician Assistant job description sample above is an excellent representation of a helpful job post to entice the top talent to join your company. Investing the time upfront in writing a solid position description results into a visible return later when you add the best and freshest performers to your team.