Pipelayers are needed to perform a variety of tasks related to the creation of water mains, drains and sanitation sewers. Some of the things pipelayers consistently have to do include sealing joints between pipes, positioning pipes to be in the right places underneath a building and grading trenches.
Pipes and other components can get quite heavy, so your pipelayer job description needs to state the importance of having physical strength and sufficient stamina. Mechanical skills and the knowledge to use various tools are also advantageous in this line of work.
Adequate business acumen is good to have because pipelayers routinely need to place bids and provide estimates to customers on how much a certain project will cost. Additional insight into writing a great job listing can be gained by taking a look at the pipelayer job description template below.
Pipelayer Job Summary
Are you an experienced, motivated and reliable pipelayer who knows how to work with water, sewer and storm pipes? By working at Johnson Civil Contractors, your skills will be put to the test working for a variety of residential and commercial clients. You will work in a challenging environment where every day poses a new task, which just means you will constantly have opportunities to learn more and expand your skillset. There will be minimal supervision in the position, so you will mostly be accountable for yourself without having anyone constantly looking over your shoulder. This can be a truly fulfilling career for the person with the right talent for it.
- Install new pipes around a property using an eclectic assortment of tools, including transit levels, grade rods and levels
- Measure the surrounding area where the pipes are going to be installed and cut the pipes to match the allotted area
- Connect multiple pipes together by sealing joints, which will entail using glue, cement or welding devices
- Dig trenches when pipes need to be laid beneath the earth, and cover the pipes once they are in place with dirt or other similar materials
- Locate existing pipe around a property that needs to be removed by utilizing radio or magnetic indicators
- Train other pipelayers in the process, and supervise new hires initially to ensure they are able to work independently
- Drill holes into a property’s pipe line in order to install auxiliary cables and other devices into the system
- Operate pickup trucks and rollers frequently whenever materials need to be transported away from the worksite
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Certification in pipelaying or one year of experience in the field
- Ability to perform intense manual labor
- Knowledge of pipelaying practices and commitment to safety
- Strong leadership skills
- Ability to use various pieces of equipment although training can be provided
There is still a lot of work to be done even after you have written your pipelayer job description. You then need to figure out where you want to post it so that qualified candidates find it and actively want to apply.
Some of the most common places where jobseekers look for new work include company websites, referrals, social media pages, help wanted ads and newspapers. However, the most common places where jobs can be found these days are online job boards. There are hundreds of these websites out there, and you can post your description to numerous job boards at once with the help of MightyRecruiter. This website offers hiring managers free job postings, so you can get the word out without spending a lot of money.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter