Plant managers oversee the day to day operations at a company’s production facilities, ensuring that every order is processed and filled when it needs to be to keep customers happy. That means looking into both the supply logistics and the human resources issues that need to be handled to keep everything moving forward smoothly.
This is an open-ended job, and one that takes both experience and commitment, so emphasizing both of those qualities in any plant manager job description is an essential step to finding the right person. Strong organizational and interpersonal skills are also a must, as is the ability to make decisions quickly.
Make sure your plant manager job description also emphasizes the educational requirements you have for the position. The example below will show you how to include your requirements and needs while attracting dynamic talent to your organization.
Plant Manager Job Summary
Our organization has an opening for a plant manager in a midsize facility employing nearly 150 workers across two shifts. The company is growing and orders are expected to increase in the coming year, so as the right dynamic leader, you’ll have an opportunity to bring the vision needed to expand the plant to 250 employees across three shifts, while fulfilling all customer quality expectations. The nature of our intended expansion means this position is perfect for an experienced manager looking to move to a new challenge in an expanding facility. Your skills will be essential to set the policies to help our facility grow into a large regional operation.
- Review all production orders and processing schedules and make critical decisions about workflow strategies to ensure all customers receive goods on time
- Develop, implement and track quality control systems, utilizing feedback to reduce scrap and waste through employee education and other efficiency improvements
- Coordinate both the processing of orders and the marketing of plant services to facilitate relationships with customers and supply chain partners in the local and regional communities
- Hire, train and discharge employees in accordance with our organizational bylaws and employee conduct guidebook
- Set and monitor product standards by implementing testing procedures to assure ongoing product quality, as well as initial product reviews and other evaluations needed to ensure a quality end result is shipped to the customer
- Develop or approve of budgets that balance all necessary expenses, including energy and other utilities, debt maintenance, supplies and human resources
- Coordinate with plant managers at other facilities within our organization to improve the quality of the workplace for all employees organization-wide through consistent policy implementation and continuous improvement
Job Skills & Qualifications
- 5 years of experience as a plant manager or supervisor
- 5 years of experience in non-managerial industrial positions
- Bachelor’s degree in business, mechanical engineering or a field related to either
- Master’s degree in mechanical engineering, bachelor’s in business
- 5 years of experience in plastic injection molding production
When you put together your final plant manager job description, be sure to follow along with the strategy laid out in the example above. Engage your potential applicants with an opportunity that shows how a change might be able to provide the right impetus to growth. That way, you have a better chance of attracting someone with the experience and background you want.
Exposure is a big part of finding the right candidate, too. Once you have a sharp job description, you will want to post it to as many places as you can, including social media, your company website and online job boards. Make sure you check out MightyRecruiter as you proceed, because with it you can post to free job boards conveniently, saving you time and energy while increasing your exposure to your audience.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter