To many, there may seem to be little more that goes into being a postal worker than simply delivering the mail. You know, however, that there are certain qualifications a would-be mail carrier must have to effectively fill such a position and sell various postal products. The postal service mail carrier job description template provided here details how to list such qualifications.
While a mail carrier’s primary responsibility is to convey letters and packages to recipients, he or she plays a much larger role away from the public eye. The responsibility of sorting the mail for a carrier’s respective route fall to him or her, requiring close collaboration with clerks and processors.
A postal worker must also have the physical endurance required to get through a route. Consult the postal service mail carrier job description template below to see how to detail the physical requirements that come with this job.
Postal Service Mail Carrier Job Summary
A career as a mail carrier gives you the chance to serve others in your local community and even more across the country. If you enjoy being part of a process that can brighten a person’s day, this job is for you. You’ll get to meet new people and gain exposure to new communities and cultures, all while being relied upon to help keep people in touch with the important persons and parties in their lives. You’ll also develop an expert understanding of logistics, learning the details that go into processing, packaging and shipment, as well as the guidelines regulating land, rail and airway deliveries. Working as a mail carrier allows you to work with a world-class service team under the direction of a dedicated, caring and compassionate postmaster.
- Supervise a designated local mail route conveying packages, letters and other items to area residents and business owners
- Act as courier for local residents in carrying and processing mail items for delivery to other parties
- Ensure delivery of certified and insured mail, collecting any associated fees as well as the required documentation confirming delivery
- Sort and prepare all mail items in preparation for delivery
- Maintain and submit shift reports detailing the processes followed and any obstacles encountered during daily route
- Operate postal service vehicles as well as other equipment such as forklifts and conveyers used to assist with the storage and retrieval of mail items
- Report any unusual or suspicious packages, letters or other mail items to appropriate postal managers and assist in the coordination with local law enforcement officials to evaluate and/or dispose of such items, if necessary
- Perform maintenance services at local post office, including retrieving correspondence from local mailboxes, sorting and placing items in post office boxes and helping coordinate delivery schedules with other carriers to compensate for missing personnel
Job Skills and Qualifications
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- High school diploma or its equivalent
- Must be able to lift at least 20 pounds
- Good physical endurance with ability to travel multiple miles by foot
- Familiarity with local community
- Strong communication and customer service skills
- Previous work experience in courier services
- Working knowledge of data warehousing software programs
Using the postal service mail carrier job description provided allows you to create a high-quality listing that’s sure to attract attention. However, to gain attention, your listing must be exposed to as many people as possible. Online resources such as job listing boards help to line you up with active job seekers. Working with job placement programs offered through local civic organizations or colleges and universities might also yield qualified candidates.
These days, however, your candidate pool is not limited to those in your local area. Hundreds of job search resources are being utilized by people looking to secure employment before relocating to your local area. You can share your listing through such resources without having to research each of them. Services like MightyRecruiter allow you to post jobs for free to hundreds of outlets, giving you access to an even wider range of applicants.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter