Power plant operators perform a wide variety of tasks to ensure optimal and safe operation of equipment that produces and distributes electrical power. They may operate control systems, monitor gauges and meters, perform routine checks, maintain equipment and start or stop operations when necessary.
In your power plant operator job description, focus on a strong math and science background. Operators may have formal degrees or apprenticeship training, and some states also require certain certifications for power plant operators. Those working with nuclear power reactors must be licensed by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Along with proper training and licensing, power plant operators must be attentive, dedicated and detail-oriented. Many tasks require excellent dexterity and understanding of mechanical systems as well as strong problem-solving capabilities. Read through the power plant operator job description below to see other information to include in your listing.
Power Plant Operator Job Summary
If you are looking for a career with interesting challenges, bring your problem-solving skills and power-generation expertise and apply for our power plant operator opening. We are looking for an experienced professional who is dedicated to maintaining safe operational standards while innovating new ways to improve efficiency and performance. You will work alongside managers, engineers and technicians in a true team environment that values each member’s unique contributions. Our power plant operators participate in a variety of tasks on a daily basis and have the satisfaction of providing a necessary service to people in the local community. We offer competitive pay and benefits, along with several opportunities for continuing education and professional development courses to support you on your career path.
- Control a variety of power-generation equipment and machinery during normal operation, scheduled maintenance and emergency repair procedures
- Monitor meters, gauges and control boards to verify operational parameters, and make adjustments to distribution, generator output, voltage and electricity flow rates according to standard protocols and power grid requirements
- Utilize a variety of analog and digital informational displays to understand operational performance variables, such as electricity flow and voltage, and record information accurately into manual logs and computer databases
- Oversee machinery indicators to determine existence of malfunctions or suboptimal performance, and initiate appropriate repair procedures when necessary
- Start and stop turbines and other power-generation equipment as necessary to maintain safe operation, allow for repair work and meet changing supply and demand variables
- Follow all relevant safety protocols and legal codes to ensure proper operation of equipment and minimize risk of damage to property and personnel
- Participate in regular training to improve performance, acquire professional licenses and maintain certification required by company and government regulations
- Communicate clearly and effectively with other power plant personnel, including managers, engineers and repair technicians to encourage teamwork and coordinate tasks
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in math, engineering or power generation
- Minimum of 2 years of work experience in power generation
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Flexibility to work non-traditional hours, including on-call shifts
- Professional Engineer License
- Firefighter training
- NERC System Operator Certification
Writing a compelling and thorough power plant operator job description is only the first step in a successful hiring campaign. You must also choose the best places to post your listing to encourage the most qualified and motivated candidates to apply. There are numerous options for posting a job listing online, including professional social networks, your company’s official website and free and paid job boards.
Posting a job listing in multiple places is a good strategy for most hiring managers because it increases visibility. Along with online job boards and social networks, you can initiate referrals from current employees by releasing the job listing to them. It’s important to find methods for completing a hiring campaign quickly, and using MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free to online boards can dramatically increase your program’s efficiency.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter