Prep cooks are responsible for ensuring all the ingredients and utensils are ready to use by the head chef. This can include washing food, checking its expiration date and chopping vegetables. They also play a role in ensuring all the supplies are stocked and preparing a unique menu.
A keen sense of taste will come in handy because prep cooks may need to recommend what should go in a dish or how much of an ingredient should be used. Dexterity is also good to mention in your prep cook job description because these professionals will be using delicate hand tools to finely chop and slice products.
Physical stamina is good to have because prep cooks will constantly be exposed to a hot environment where they will have to stand for hours at a time. Include all this in your prep cook job description so that it resembles the example below.
Prep Cook Job Summary
Are you passionate about cooking and want to put your skills to the test in a fun, team-centric environment? We are a first-class restaurant that consistently gets five star reviews on Yelp, and a big part of that is due to our excellent team. We require a new prep cook who is willing to work a variety of shifts and has a strong commitment to the details. You will be helping a world-renowned chef prepare dishes, so while there are challenges with the job, this is a great opportunity for someone who hopes to become a head chef one day. We still manage to have fun, so apply today if you think you are ready.
- Ensure all food is stored properly so it remains sanitary and clearly mark the expiration date on the package
- Maintain the overall cleanliness of the kitchen by sweeping the floors at the end and beginning of each day and cleaning all kitchen equipment
- Prepare ingredients so they are ready to be used by the head chef, which can entail slicing vegetables, cooking fish, boiling water or anything else
- Keep inventory of all of the restaurant’s food and input necessary orders into the establishment’s inventory software system
- Assist the head chef with the actual creation of dishes and be in charge of preparing food if the head chef is not there or is busy with other tasks
- Analyze recipes to see how cost-effective they would be to serve based on all overhead costs
- Determine how certain dishes need to be presented on the plate
- Go out into the community to assist with catering jobs and special events
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma
- At least 18 years old
- Ability to work within a team
- Great communication skills
- A desire to learn and grow as an individual
- Prior experience working in a kitchen
Once you feel good about the prep cook job description you have created, you are ready to start posting. There are countless places to promote your job opening, and you need to utilize as many of them as possible.
One way to bring in applicants is to start a referral program. Encourage your current employees to see if they know anyone who would be good for the job, and if you end up hiring someone through that, give the employee a little perk. Use the internet to its fullest potential. Promote the open position on your restaurant’s website, Facebook profile and LinkedIn page. You can also get a strong response of applicants by using job boards. MightyRecruiter lets you post to free job boards easily so your budget in this endeavor remains low.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter