Prepress workers ensure that images and text are ready to be printed on various surfaces. They may work for commercial print shops, design firms, advertising agencies, photography studios or similar businesses.
To be successful with prepress work, a person needs solid communication skills, a high level of accuracy and attention to detail, a willingness to perform repetitive tasks when required and the ability to perform well under time pressure. Because these traits are essential for this role, you should include them in your prepress worker job description and not wait to bring them up during the interview period.
When creating your job posting, you should also include educational or technical requirements, the level of experience you are looking for and any qualifications that are preferred but not necessarily required. For more information about how to lay out your prepress worker job description, see the example below.
Prepress Worker Job Summary
Are you a detail-obsessed visual communicator? Do you have a background in color theory, photography, graphic design, typography or other visual arts? If so, we have an exciting opportunity for you. Our marketing and design firm is searching for a few more prepress workers to join our fast-paced production center. If selected for this position, you would spend your workdays perfecting client images for crisp, perfectly aligned printing, creating both physical printing plates and digital files. As you learn more about our philosophy, systems and processes, you may eventually have the prospect of moving into a design role on the marketing team, working with clients to bring their advertising and production ideas to life.
- Communicate clearly and openly to discern client or design team needs and vision and to discuss realistic options for realizing that vision
- Analyze files provided by clients or in-house design teams and assess suitability for printing, checking and double-checking critical aspects of images and text
- Troubleshoot and fix file issues, including alignment, color, exposure, clarity, grain and other image and typography problems, as well as manipulating for bleed and binding
- Create proofs for client or design team review, making needed adjustments in response to feedback, then cheerfully and meticulously creating new proofs until final design is approved
- Double-check proofs for quality, including clarity and alignment, before beginning a print run
- Convert approved image files for use with digital printing equipment or physical plate preparation
- Maintain tidiness of work area, including keeping computers and printing equipment clean and in good repair
- Perform light maintenance of equipment, including software updates and replacement of consumable supplies as needed
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a high level of accuracy
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Knowledge of design, color theory and typography
- Computer skills
- Three or more years’ experience in prepress
- Printing and binding experience
Once you have written a prepress worker job description that accurately represents the needs of your organization, read it aloud to make sure it reflects your company’s culture and values. When you are satisfied with your work, share the finished ad with your employees and ask them to distribute it to anyone who might be qualified. You will also want to publish it on your company website.
The next step is an important one. You need to cast a wide net if you want a large pool of applicants that you can later narrow down. The best way to do this is by posting your vacancy on the internet. MightyRecruiter can help you post jobs for free to hundreds of online job boards at once.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter