A priest is responsible for the overall direction of a Christian parish. Not only does the priest write and deliver a lectionary-based sermon each Sunday, he or she coordinates and supervises all of the assistants in the church service from paid subordinates to volunteers. Following the liturgical calendar, the priest leads the congregation in the celebration of various seasons of the church year.
Participating in the life of the parish and its outreach is another duty of a priest. Education and counseling are other services a priest provides. You will want to include the ability to communicate well with a variety of age groups in your priest job description as that skill is necessary to run a successful parish.
An active personal Bible study practice is essential for a priest as well. Refer to this priest job description template to get an idea of the optimal job description format.
Priest Job Summary
If you desire to make a positive difference for a Christian community in the Anglican Communion, you may be just the priest candidate Saint Ephraim’s is looking for. Saint Ephraim of Edessa Episcopal Church is a faith community located in rural Minnesota in the Iron Range area. At almost 100 years old, this parish is rich in traditions but is in need of revitalization. True to the example of its namesake, Saint Ephraim Parish is rich in Christian musical expression and worship. There is ample opportunity for the congregation to grow in this community, especially in the area of youth ministry. We are looking for a priest who will extend our Christian traditions of the last 100 years while creating new ones for the future.
- Plan, write and conduct all elements of the weekly church services, including coordination with the liturgical calendar and in keeping with church tradition
- Revitalize outreach to and retention of all ages of youth in our parish and in the larger community through education, activities and increased involvement of youth in worship life
- As a part of managing the parish education program, redesign the confirmation program for effectiveness and relevance
- Facilitate outreach ministries to the local community or out into the world in response to our Salvation through Jesus Christ
- Conduct baptisms, funerals, weddings and animal blessings on an as needed basis and administer the sacraments at every worship service
- Lead the administration of the parish and report to the bishop of the diocese on a periodic basis as stated by the bishop
- Initiate short-term counseling in times of parishioner crisis or joyful occasions, referring to local mental health professionals as appropriate
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Ordination in the Episcopal Church
- Dedicated to spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ
- Excellent verbal and written communication with all age groups
- Previous church youth group experience
- Ability to read music and play an instrument
Now that you have written a priest job description which is a reflection of the needs of your faith community, where do you post it? A natural place to post it would be on the national church’s website, but that placement will only catch active job seekers.
You would be surprised at how many professionals who are not looking for a job will apply to a position they see that appeals to them. This fact makes it important to post your job description in as many places as possible in order to generate the maximum amount of qualified applicants to your position. You can post jobs for free to hundreds of boards all at once by using MightyRecruiter.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter