Print binding and finishing workers create physical printed media, such as books, using binding machinery and manual finishing processes. They establish the correct settings on binding and finishing machines to fulfill custom orders, and may also trim page edges and add decorative final touches by hand.
When you are crafting your print binding and finishing worker job description, you should focus on a candidate’s technical proficiency with appropriate machinery and equipment. Most people in their field learn through on-the-job training rather than formal education. Candidates should follow instructions and have an eye for detail.
Along with a working knowledge of the binding and finishing process, candidates should have good time management and organizational abilities. Customer-service skills are also important. Use the print binding and finishing worker job description below to see what other skills and information you should include in your job description.
Print Binding and Finishing Worker Job Summary
If you want a job that presents exciting challenges and allows you to move around and complete physical tasks rather than sitting at a desk all day, consider joining our crew of print binding and finishing workers. Bring your experience with automated and manual bindery work and enjoy a friendly, fast-paced atmosphere with a focus on supporting continual training and career advancement. You will have the opportunity to work directly with customers and expert bindery technicians, and to learn new skills as you complete a wide variety of projects. We are always open to new ideas for improving collaboration and workflow, and we reward innovative, high-quality work with excellent pay and benefits.
- Complete binding processes for books and other printed media using specialized equipment and machinery along with manual work such as cutting, folding, gluing and sewing
- Read work orders from customers to understand overall project goals and requirements, and translate instructions to develop workflow and set up machinery specifications properly
- Inspect collated, stitched or unbound product samples to determine overall quality and find defects, recommend necessary changes to the binding and finishing process and follow up with customers as needed
- Attach and adjust specific tools and equipment to binder machines, including guides, clamps, knives and forms to accommodate books and pages of certain sizes and meet project requirements for final results
- Communicate directly with customers and other bindery technicians as needed to verify order information, confirm proper machine settings and deliver completed projects according to specified schedule
- Clean and inspect machinery frequently, and add lubrication, make adjustments and complete minor repairs as necessary to ensure optimal performance and safe operation
- Collect, package and prepare completed books and deliverables according to standard protocols, and complete final quality check to ensure items meet customer requirements
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma plus at least 1 year of relevant experience
- Physically able to lift paper and equipment weighing up to 75 lbs.
- Knowledge of bindery and finish work, including cutting, folding and operating machinery
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Supervisory experience
Finding and hiring the right employee for your company takes more than just a well-written print binding and finishing worker job description. You need to choose the right places to post the job listing where motivated and qualified jobseekers will see it. Most hiring managers find that posting a job listing on multiple online pages is the most efficient way to fill the vacancy quickly.
You can post your listing on both free and paid online job boards and professional social network sites. Another good option is your company’s official webpage. Going through the steps to post your listing on multiple sites can be tedious and take a significant amount of time. You can make the whole process much easier by using MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free to hundreds of boards at once.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter