Procurement clerks are responsible for purchasing raw materials, products or services that companies use or resell. These buying agents may interview and evaluate suppliers, negotiate purchasing contracts and verify the functionality of each vendor’s supply chain. A procurement clerk may also monitor contracts and create purchasing records to ensure correct quantities and prices.
You may want to focus on work experience or on-the-job training when writing your procurement clerk job description. There are also certain professional certification options for buying agents. In general, it’s important for a procurement clerk to possess strong mathematical and decision-making skills.
A professional procurement agent should display successful negotiating skills and be able to analyze data, such as pricing, quality and delivery, to determine the best supplier. Use the procurement clerk job description template below to see what other information you should include in your own listing.
Procurement Clerk Job Summary
If you are looking for an interesting, hands-on job with numerous opportunities for career development, join our team of procurement specialists. You will have the chance to work with several internal department heads and numerous external vendors to find the most cost-effective and efficient methods for acquiring the raw materials and finished products our company needs. Rather than being confined to an office every day, you’ll have the chance to verify incoming shipments and visit current and potential suppliers’ facilities, as well as attend trade shows several times a year. We count on our procurement clerks to successfully negotiate supply contracts, so we will give you the support and training you need plus a competitive salary and opportunities for advancement.
- Interview potential suppliers prior to contract negotiations, including visiting plants and distribution centers and discussing materials, products and quality standards with vendors
- Evaluate current and new suppliers to determine optimal setup for supply contracts, taking into account costs, delivery times, product quality and available inventory
- Analyze supply contracts, financial reports and other data using accepted optimization models to determine which vendors best meet company needs and project requirements
- Participate in negotiations with vendors, including researching prices, products and other data beforehand and coordinating with suppliers to create optimal purchasing contracts
- Maintain current knowledge of existing vendors, industry trends and relevant pricing by attending trade shows and conferences and reading professional publications
- Oversee fulfillment of supply contracts by verifying quantity and quality of incoming shipments, checking invoices for accuracy, ensuring compliance with contractual regulations and working with vendors as necessary to resolve any discrepancies
- Create and maintain computerized database of supply purchase orders, paid invoices, goods delivered, product and raw material quality, current inventory and future order scheduling
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in supply management, or high school diploma plus minimum of 3 years of related work experience
- Excellent negotiating abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills and decision-making ability
- Solid understanding of supply chain concepts and supplier analysis methods
- Professional certification, such as CPSM, CPP, CSCP, etc.
Hiring a new employee for your company requires you to post your procurement clerk job description in the right locations for potential candidates to see it. Most hiring managers choose to post job listings in multiple places to encourage applications from the largest possible pool of qualified jobseekers.
There are numerous options for posting your job listing, such as professional social networks and both free and paid job sites. You may also consider posting the listing on your company’s public website or creating a process for your current employees to recommend qualified candidates. Effective planning and time management are key for a quick and successful job search, and you can increase efficiency dramatically by using MightyRecruiter to post to free job boards for you.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter