Let’s face it, recruiting and hiring the industry’s top talent can be an exhausting job, yet it is incredibly important. One of the most effective steps to take in making your job easier is to learn how to write job descriptions that are marketable, informative, and attention-grabbing. Your efforts to articulate something concise and impressionable from the get go can be all the difference in the type of candidates who apply for the position. Because today’s technology industry is increasingly competitive, you have to hire and retain the most talented and committed employees out there. We have provided you with a Product Manager Job Description Sample to reference along the way.
Product Manager Job Summary
As the product manager, you will be primarily responsible for idea generation, product formulation, general forecasting, and marketing associated with product launch. You will be the CEO of a cross-functional team and will guide innovative products through the product life cycle.
Product Manager Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Oversee ideation and the formulation of product design and encourage creative thinking
- Analyze market conditions to determine product launch timing, setting, and inventory count
- Determine inventory quantities by analyzing production schedules and sales forecasts
- Assess and evaluate market competition to create pathway strategies to achieving market leadership
- Work as CEO of a cross-functional team and encourage open communication, idea generation, team work, and synergy
- Recommend packaging ideas for new products and determine product scope
- Create efficient and unique marketing plans that will stand out and drive a product to launch
- Research consumer behaviors, interests, and requirements to determine which products the market considers most valuable
- Record milestones during a product’s life cycle for reference in the creation and release of future products
Product Manager Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- 3+ years of related technology experience
- Proven track record of successful product management from idea generation to launch
- Experience in web technologies and software development is a definite plus
- Ability to communicate effectively with a cross-functional team
- Proven leadership skills and an understanding of effective delegation
- Creativity and a passion to generate innovative and exciting ideas for product design
- An understanding of sales planning and market analysis
- Experience in inventory control, forecasting, and consumer habits preferred
Ion Technologies is an industry leading tech company located in the heart of California’s Silicon Valley. We have developed multiple software technologies for use in the educational, business, industrial, and medical industries. Our expertise stems from our ability to hire and train a workforce of dedicated individuals who understand consumers wants and develop products to cater to their needs. The mission of Ion Technologies is to provide reliable, efficient, and innovative technologies to aid the nation’s workforce and give them the tools they need to build successful products. We thrive on creating innovative software that is unique in design, navigational in use, and advanced in operation. Become a member of our team today and join us in turning technology into something futuristic and completely revolutionary.
Writing a Job Description Best Practices
- The Product Manager Job Description Sample we have provided is a good example of one that could be used to market an opening for such a position. However, you will find it necessary to tweak the material to suit the needs, culture, and preferences of your company. Making alterations gives you the ability to turn the description into something authentic for your organization. Tell candidates why your company is a stand-out performer and why their contributions could make a positive difference. As you make the description your own, here are some basic dos and don’ts to consider.
- Do take the time to understand the position, requirements, and job duties. Building a successful description requires a firsthand understanding of the role the individual will play within the organization.
- Don’t get too specific with salary amounts or benefits unless company policy allows for it.
- Do begin with a clear vision of the kind of candidate you wish to hire. This way you can include language and specifics to attract only the best talent.
- Don’t be to verbose or technical. Too many words, or statements that are too difficult to understand, will quickly lose the reader’s attention. Additionally, they could hurt your SEO ratings when keywords get lost in the fluff.
- Do use bullets and headers to help break up content and make it more readable.
Want to use this job description?
Product Manager Job Responsibilities
To attract the right candidates for your open position, you must craft an informative product manager job description. This includes writing the product manager job responsibilities section in a detailed way to let jobseekers know exactly what they should expect in the position. This section is the meatiest of an advertisement, containing a wealth of information explaining the typical duties one could expect to perform in this role.
You want to ensure this section is easy to read and clear. It needs to include a bulleted format with about 6-8 items. Only list those tasks and duties that are most important to the job. Avoid being too wordy or overwhelming the applicant with numerous items. You should outline your expectations and use action verbs, so jobseekers can envision themselves in the position. After reading through this section, a candidate should have a good idea of what the job entails and whether it is the right fit for him or her.
Here is an example of how this section might look in a product manager job description:
- Negotiate contracts for advertising
- Plan advertising campaigns in various mediums
- Create contests, specials and coupons to attract customers
- Coordinate efforts with department managers to reach goals
- Evaluate advertising campaigns for effectiveness and appropriateness
- Conduct market research to gather information about the target market
Product Manager Job Specifications
The job qualifications and skills section of a product manager job description may be one of the shortest sections, but it is important in helping you weed out applicants who do not meet your criteria. When jobseekers read this section, they get a good feel for the product manager job specifications and what training, education and skills they must possess to be a good match. Through carefully creating this section, you can make it very clear what you want in a candidate, so those who do not meet your standards do not waste time applying.
This section of the product manager job description needs to be specific. If you want experience, tell applicants how many years of experience you want. Meet with the hiring manager or someone who is currently in the position to find out the exact attributes a person needs to do the job. Make sure your job qualifications and skills section will find you the right type of applicants. Finally, clearly distinguish competencies you require from those you prefer.
Here’s a look at some examples:
- Bachelor’s degree in advertising, marketing or management
- Five years of experience working in marketing or sales
- Strong analytical skills
- Experience with digital marketing
- Excellent ability to determine and analyze a target market
- Creative thinking skills