A product marketing manager is responsible for outbound marketing activities for any number of products. They design and develop marketing programs and policies and decide how to create product positioning and messaging.
Product marketing managers need to understand the motivations of shoppers and the criteria they use to decide which products to purchase. Use the skills section of your product marketing manager job description to specify that applicants will require reliable market intelligence.
Strong communication skills are also necessary for product marketing managers, as they need to work with sales and marketing teams to determine how to share product messaging in the marketplace, so this is another important skill to include in your job listing. Review the example below for further guidelines on what to include in your product marketing manager job description.
Product Marketing Manager Job Summary
As a product marketing manager with our company, you’ll be in charge of all aspects of how our products are marketed to the public. You’ll make the important decisions about how our products will be presented, where and how to advertise products and all the other aspects of how our products go to market. Leading a small team of marketers and working closely with our sales team, you’ll analyze our current marketing strategies and how they’re working in order to make a plan to take our company and our products into the future. If you’re a dynamic, self-motivated professional who likes using your creativity to help create a strong marketing message that increases sales, we’d love to have you as part of our team.
- Design and develop all marketing strategies and programs; drive demand for our products with creative and innovative marketing practices
- Analyze new and existing marketing programs to determine effect on sales and augment marketing strategies as necessary
- Lead team of five marketing professionals to implement marketing programs on schedule and maintain detailed evaluations of the team’s work
- Work in tandem with the sales team to ensure our message is making it to market and evaluate consumers’ attitudes and feelings toward our products
- Act as a spokesperson for interactions with all news outlets and media, and represent the company at trade shows, industry events and conferences
- Oversee the production of all sales materials, including presentations, blog posts, advertisements and social media posts
- Write detailed plans for new product launches and manage implementation of launch plans
- Work to maintain strong market intelligence, keeping up to date on consumer and societal trends, researching the strategies of our competitors and making recommendations for changes to our own strategies
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in business or marketing or at least two years of marketing experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Deep knowledge of buyer motivations
- Ability and willingness to travel
- Previous experience as a marketing manager
- Previous experience as a team leader
Product Marketing Manager Job Responsibilities
The job responsibilities section of a job description is crucial for generating leads to talented candidates. A well-written product marketing manager job responsibilities section should be the weightiest portion of the listing. Use it to define the role of the potential employee and set the standard for jobseekers considering the position. The responsibilities section of your product marketing manager job description carries the most weight. When reading it, candidates learn what to expect and make decisions regarding whether the position is a good fit.
Your product marketing manager job description must be engaging and well-written to grab the attention of jobseekers. Use 6-8 carefully chosen bullets and begin each with a high-impact action verb.
Consider the value of the following examples that could inspire your responsibilities section:
- Develop product marketing techniques and strategies, including advertising, pricing and product launching
- Communicate the value proposition of specific products and select appropriate sales tools to support campaigns
- Write and post engaging messages for ad campaigns on landing pages
- Collaborate with acquisition, content, design and sales teams to implement most profitable strategies
- Become an expert on buyers, buying habits and criteria
- Create materials and programs to train individual members of sales team
Product Marketing Manager Job Specifications
While jobseekers read through the responsibilities section of your product marketing manager job description to decide whether they’d like to pursue the position or not, the job qualifications and skills section helps jobseekers understand whether they even qualify for the position. A successful qualifications and skills section should list the minimum product marketing manager job specifications (such as academic credentials, years of experience and soft skills), which will reduce the number of unqualified applicants seeking your attention.
When crafting the credentials portion of the listing, one effective tactic professionals often use is to speak with senior leadership and individuals who are currently working in the position. Boost the value of your product marketing manager description by compiling a list of required skills and a list of preferred qualifications. Make sure the two categories are easy to identify so candidates can determine whether they meet the standards for potential employees.
A well-written job qualifications and skills section can save your hiring department some time and money by separating unqualified, overqualified and appropriately qualified candidates. Take advantage of these benefits by carefully writing this section of your product marketing manager job description.
Use the following examples as inspiration:
- Proven experience of at least 5 years in product marketing, brand management or similar field
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business or communications
- Willingness to travel, required
- Demonstrable history of successful and unique marketing programs
- Superior communication and management skills
- Working knowledge of web analytics tools, a plus