Production managers are a high-ranking part of the management staff that oversees all aspect of production in an industrial environment. They may be involved with broad aspects, such as labor management and scheduling, as well as in-depth areas such as product design and machinery upgrades.
Your production manager job description should emphasize the need for the candidate to have extensive business and industrial knowledge so they can complete their job properly. Another vital skill to include is strong communication abilities and leadership in order to relay information to manufacturing workers and other management staff effectively.
Secondary skills to look for in candidates include critical thinking, analysis, time management, problem solving and decision making. It can be tricky to include all these requirements in your job description, however. By reviewing the following production manager job description, you can learn some of the best approaches.
Production Manager Job Summary
If you are a talented leader and an expert when it comes to maximizing efficiency, we are looking for you to join our management team as a production manager. We are a leading manufacturer of a wide range of electronic items, and the production managers are the professionals that make it happen. You will never have a boring day as you oversee all aspects of production, from creating the schedules and managing labor costs to providing insight into individual manufacturing workers’ performances. You’ll have the opportunity to use and enhance your excellent communication skills, extensive knowledge of the manufacturing industry and ability to make quick decisions based on your keen observation and analysis abilities.
- Develop and manage tracking systems for analyzing production rates and product quality and identifying production issues before they arise
- Coordinate manufacturing staff to maximize efficiency, including creating the schedule, managing labor costs, giving instructions and choosing which manufacturing machines to use based on incoming orders
- Manage the inventory to ensure we always have the supply needed to complete production quotas quickly and efficiently, placing orders when necessary in advance so inventory is restocked before depletion
- Fulfill administrative duties, completing production reports and shift overviews that detail production rates and worker performances
- Present production information to board of directors, including suggestions for potential improvement and strategies for implementing these suggestions
- Contribute to the hiring process, making recommendations for which candidates are the most capable
- Train new staff to ensure all employees are performing at the same level and all recruits reach this level within the first two weeks of employment
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in industrial engineering or other technical field
- Minimum 10 years working experience in leadership position
- Master’s degree in related field
- Five years of working experience in manufacturing
Production Manager Job Responsibilities
It’s no secret that writing the job responsibilities section of a production manager job description can be intimidating. The pressure is high when creating a document that accurately and clearly communicates the daily functions of the position to jobseekers, especially since it’s their first impression of the job. These tips will help you write it in a clear way so there can be no misunderstanding. One of the first things to keep in mind is that though you should write this section in a detailed way, it need not be all-inclusive. Jobseekers need to have a solid understanding of the main responsibilities of the job, but the secondary duties are unnecessary to include.
When deciding on a format for this section, always go for a streamlined, bulleted layout. A bullet-point format is a great way to simplify the large portion of information this section of the production manager job description communicates. Each bullet should start with an expressive verb so jobseekers can see themselves in the position performing these duties. Also, try to keep the number of bullets between four and eight.
Take a look at these examples of production manager job responsibilities we’ve provided for your reference:
- Ensure compliance with all sanitation and safety regulations
- Record hours worked and attendance of all employees
- Inspect all machinery, tools, products and materials to ensure conformity to processing standards
- Set up equipment and make adjustments as necessary
Production Manager Job Specifications
Though easy to do, it’s important not to underestimate the job qualifications and skills section of your production manager job description. This section may be the smallest, but it’s where the minimum requirements for application are, including prior work experience and education. The cost of underestimating this section is usually an overfilled email inbox. When job candidates are unclear on the qualifications to apply, they will often send in their resumes just for good measure.
A great way to avoid this situation is to talk with your senior executives about their expectations for applicants. This gives you a firmer understanding of what you need to include or exclude, enhancing the clarity of your production manager job description. In the final document, it’s important to help jobseekers determine whether they have what it takes to apply by separating any deal-breakers from skills that are simply preferences.
We’ve provided examples of well-written production manager job specifications for your writing purposes:
- 5 years’ experience in production
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Fundamental mechanical knowledge, including a variety of tools and their functions, as well as machine repair and maintenance
- Understanding of management principles, including leadership and communications skills
- Exceptional critical thinking and problem-solving skills