Production managers are a high-ranking part of the management staff that oversees all aspect of production in an industrial environment. They may be involved with broad aspects, such as labor management and scheduling, as well as in-depth areas such as product design and machinery upgrades.
Your production manager job description should emphasize the need for the candidate to have extensive business and industrial knowledge so they can complete their job properly. Another vital skill to include is strong communication abilities and leadership in order to relay information to manufacturing workers and other management staff effectively.
Secondary skills to look for in candidates include critical thinking, analysis, time management, problem solving and decision making. It can be tricky to include all these requirements in your job description, however. By reviewing the following production manager job description, you can learn some of the best approaches.
Production Manager Job Summary
If you are a talented leader and an expert when it comes to maximizing efficiency, we are looking for you to join our management team as a production manager. We are a leading manufacturer of a wide range of electronic items, and the production managers are the professionals that make it happen. You will never have a boring day as you oversee all aspects of production, from creating the schedules and managing labor costs to providing insight into individual manufacturing workers’ performances. You’ll have the opportunity to use and enhance your excellent communication skills, extensive knowledge of the manufacturing industry and ability to make quick decisions based on your keen observation and analysis abilities.
- Develop and manage tracking systems for analyzing production rates and product quality and identifying production issues before they arise
- Coordinate manufacturing staff to maximize efficiency, including creating the schedule, managing labor costs, giving instructions and choosing which manufacturing machines to use based on incoming orders
- Manage the inventory to ensure we always have the supply needed to complete production quotas quickly and efficiently, placing orders when necessary in advance so inventory is restocked before depletion
- Fulfill administrative duties, completing production reports and shift overviews that detail production rates and worker performances
- Present production information to board of directors, including suggestions for potential improvement and strategies for implementing these suggestions
- Contribute to the hiring process, making recommendations for which candidates are the most capable
- Train new staff to ensure all employees are performing at the same level and all recruits reach this level within the first two weeks of employment
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in industrial engineering or other technical field
- Minimum 10 years working experience in leadership position
- Master’s degree in related field
- Five years of working experience in manufacturing
It is important to remember that writing and proofreading your production manager job description is only the first step in the process. It will not matter how strong your job description is if no jobseekers find it. Using the company website or social media accounts is a good starting point for advertising a job opening, but utilizing online job boards will improve the number of applicants you receive. These specialized sites attract the biggest audience of professionals seeking the exact position you are hiring for.
You can put your job description on hundreds of online job boards, making the advertising process more efficient and widespread. However, this can be time consuming. To save time and find more talented employees, post jobs for free through MightyRecruiter to start the hiring process right.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter