Production workers support manufacturing operations by pulling parts, handling assembly line tasks and cleaning equipment. They may rotate roles or repeat specific actions related to fabrication. They may cut, align and solder materials to create components. Some make adjustments, calibrate parts and carry out quality inspections.
Because the work tends to be hands-on, a production worker job description often lists qualities such as physical stamina and strength. Production workers may handle very small components, requiring a fair amount of dexterity. Those who work with electrical and electronic parts should have good color vision to deal with color-coded wires.
Mechanical skills are useful for those who operate machines. Being able to interpret technical drawings and schematics is necessary for many roles. For an example of how to organize your production worker job description, refer to the sample below.
Production Worker Job Summary
Do you enjoy building things with your hands? Our assembly line manager is looking for an additional production worker. You’ll work right in the middle of the factory, having a key role in the manufacturing of our products. When you aren’t setting up and testing circuits, you’ll be assisting with the cleaning and maintenance of equipment. New supplies arrive regularly to the shop floor, and we’ll need you to inspect raw materials before they’re brought into the assembly line. You’ll learn our products inside and out, applying your knowledge to conquer new challenges. We give regular feedback and training to our employees to help them grow, and we reward their service whenever we can by promoting supervisors and managers from within.
- Use screwdrivers and soldering guns to open, adjust and secure components, testing circuits for continuity before allowing them to pass down the line, wearing electrostatic discharge protection at all times
- Turn valves, control pumps, read gauges and record data following your supervisor’s instructions and staying attentive to what’s happening up and downstream of your station
- Troubleshoot jams, tolerance issues and failures, striving to determine the root cause and making recommendations for permanent solutions
- Assist mechanics with lockdown of machinery for maintenance, repairs and new installations
- Disassemble defective parts and dispose of them according to their recycling classifications
- Separate components into individual containers, refilling them as needed and applying lids at the end of your shift to keep contaminants out
- Count and inspect finished goods, advising your supervisor of any discrepancies or defects
- Wrap, pack and transfer products into boxes according to order forms, then onto palettes and into the warehouse with utmost care
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED
- Technical-minded with an understanding of college algebra
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Able to maintain a clean and safe platform
- Associate’s degree or technical diploma
- Forklift operating experience
Once you finish your production worker job description, you should give attention to your posting strategy. Did you know that some 85 percent of jobseekers visit a company’s career page, even if they found out about an opening elsewhere? This highlights the need to keep your website current, so consider revising information about culture, benefits and your corporation’s application process.
Next, take to social media to make sure your business’ brand is represented accurately. When a post goes viral, you may receive additional applications from qualified candidates. Online job sites still make up the majority of how applicants find positions. MightyRecruiter allows you to post jobs for free to hundreds of boards at once, giving your ad maximum exposure.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter