Program directors work for companies that provide specific and ongoing services. These managers are tasked with a variety of duties, from organizing daily schedules to ensuring programs function within an annual budget.
Since you’ll want to hire a motivated individual for this position, make sure your program director job description is specific about the demands of the job. These directors have a lot of oversight and responsibility, and it’s important that your applicants understand that.
Ideally, your director will be able to step in without needing too much training. In your listing, try to provide plenty of information regarding the minutia of the work, including what equipment is used and how specific services are provided. Read the program director job description below so you can get ideas for how to structure your own.
Program Director Job Summary
Do you want to feel good about the work you do? Our mentoring company provides excellent education and a supportive environment for young adults, and we’re looking for a program director who enjoys working hard to give others a better chance at succeeding. You’ll oversee our network of mentors and take charge of a program that affects real change. This is a position for a motivated, creative individual who loves working with other people and solving problems with poise and grace. If you have the work ethic and experience to help this program grow, we want to hear from you! The position is full-time and includes benefits.
- Develop program services to include a variety of activities and objectives for both mentors and visitors
- Work with staff to ensure needs are being met and implement changes if and when program components stop resonating with those being served
- Create an environment that is fluid and adaptable, providing different and evolving services as the attendees and mentoring culture inevitably change
- Conduct and provide mentor trainings and reviews, and establish goals and benchmarks that will enable workers to grow and improve
- Adhere to the company mission statement and provide a good example so that mentors and visitors act in accordance with the established culture
- Plan and coordinate monthly outings that will be educational, safe and enriching for all those who are able to attend
- Delegate tasks related to general office duties, such as stocking supplies, maintaining a clean workspace, properly opening and closing the building and caring for office equipment
- Oversee and handle any questions and concerns relating to payroll and other financial issues
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Trained in conflict resolution
- Outstanding communication skills
- Two years’ management experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Proficient with word processing and spreadsheets
- Two years’ accounting experience
You can’t expect a skilled, qualified and available program director to fall into your lap. If you want to fill this position with the right candidate, you need to create an engaging program director job description and then make sure you post the information in the right places. Use social media and your professional network to reach out to anyone who might be able to assist with your search.
It’s also wise to use the appropriate online job boards. If you aren’t sure which boards deliver the best results, you should let the professionals handle it for you. MightyRecruiter allows you to post jobs for free to hundreds of listing sites so that you have the best shot at connecting with great applicants.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter