A strong job description makes all the difference when recruiting. After all, the success of a business relies on the people that run it. If you take the time to really work your job posting out, you can attract a talented and capable group of candidates to choose from. This is especially important when filling the program manager job. This leadership position is also responsible for how efficient other employees are, so a hardworking individual will really make the investment of hiring worth it. How can you ensure your job description is effective? The following program manager job description should give you an idea of what a strong job description looks like. Before you begin writing your own, take a look and study these suggestions.
Program Manager Job Summary
Seeking program manager to oversee project activities and manage working teams. As a leadership position, strong communication and organizational skills are expected. Will be responsible for the successful operation and completion of different corporate projects and programs.
Program Manager Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Select and recruit new employees to fulfill required roles and fill production team.
- Orient, train, assign, and schedule crew members to ensure team is capable and dynamics are successful.
- Plan, review, and organize programs in pre-production stages.
- Contribute information to the success of projects; make suggestions and develop strategies.
- Gather and organize statistical information regarding finances, scheduling, and efficiency.
- Present findings to board and management team members.
- Update knowledge of production project to remain relevant in constantly changing field.
- Ensure success of numerous overlapping projects and programs.
- Set and reach objectives based on gathered information.
Program Manager Skills and Qualifications
- Master of Business in related field is preferred. Minimum of Bachelor degree is required.
- Three to five years of experience in production required.
- Leadership experience preferred.
- Excellent organizational, communication, management, and delegation skills.
American Manufacturing has been a major playing in the production industry since its founding in 2001. For more than a decade, we have been committed to innovation, while keeping community and environmental wellbeing in mind. We are proud to benefit our employees’ careers in manufacturing or business in general.
What to Include In Your Program Manager Job Description
One of the best strategies to improve your program manager job description is to begin the writing process by thinking about what the posting is supposed to accomplish. What kind of candidate are you trying to attract and what qualifications do you need to communicate. If you keep these elements in mind, the entire job description will be more focused.
• Job Summary – Always begin a job description with a general summary of the position. This short section should be designed to make qualified candidates excited to continue reading. Include basic information about the responsibilities of the position and possible the company in one or two short sentences. Keep this part of the posting short or readers may stop reading before they get to the important part.
• Responsibilities and Requirements – At this point, you should begin listing what aspects are at the core of the job and any specific qualifications. It is wise to consult someone who is already a program manager to learn what responsibilities they have on a daily basis and how much time is spent on each task. This section should be between five and ten bullet points, each starting with a verb.
• Company Information – Always take the time to describe the hiring company. No one wants to start a job without knowing who they will be working for. Further, everyone wants to work for a business that has similar ideals to their own. Including this information makes the job more attractive, but it also attracts likeminded individuals, which is beneficial for the company. You can also improve this section by mentioning how the business helps employees’ careers.
• Search Engine Optimization – The most successful job descriptions incorporate search engine optimization to improve their exposure. Even the strongest postings do not do any good if they are not seen by a large audience. Think about how those seeking program management work will search for openings. Include relevant keywords throughout the job description. It may be wise to research existing postings.
• Call to Action – No job description is complete without a call to action. This final section should encourage readers to submit an application. If they make it all the way to the end of the job posting, they must think they are qualified already, so it should not increase the number of unqualified resumes to promote submitting. Just be friendly and clear.
Remember to keep your job description brief. It should only take a few minutes to read the entire posting. If it is too long, many readers will give up and move on, even if they would be competitive candidates. Your goal should be to include dense sentences with a lot of information which do not take up much room.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter
Writing Your Program Manager Job Description: Dos and Don’ts
After you finish writing your program manager job description, review it and find ways to improve it. If you outlined your goals before beginning, analyze whether you met these goals. These do’s and don’ts should help you with this step.
• Do include clear submission guidelines. This is especially important if there is an online form.
• Don’t break company policy regarding posting the salary information.
• Do make it clear that the position is full-time.
• Don’t leave out general information, such as start date and location.
Writing a Job Description: Do’s and Don’ts
- This program manager job description sample should help you get started with writing your own, but the following suggestions will help you improve your posting and reach a truly successful level. Your job description will be unique, but these do’s and don’ts provide of universal rules you should follow.
- Don’t leave out a call to action section at the end of your job description. This short paragraph is often overlooked, but makes the difference between the best and worst postings. Encourage readers to submit an application and include submission guidelines.
- Do begin each bullet point in the requirements section with a strong action verb. It should be your goal to allow readers to envision themselves in the position. The way you do this is through active writing and vivid descriptions.
- Do your research. Before you begin writing, consult someone that is already in the program manager position to learn what daily tasks they face. Incorporate this information and how much time is spent on each task in your job description.
- Don’t break company policy regarding posting the salary information. Whether it is included or not, it is acceptable. The most important aspect is that your posting is consistent with the company policy.
- Don’t include any information haphazardly. Because space is so limited, each word should be included for a reason. Be completely intentional with each and every piece of information which you include.
- Do include information which sells the company. It is perfectly acceptable to make the business seem as appealing as possible. Take this opportunity to utilize the company profile to attract a certain kind of candidate. This will make for more excited applicants, but also create likeminded employees, which is beneficial to operation.
- Don’t write a job description that is too long. It should only take a few minutes to read all the way through.
Recruiting should always be viewed as an investment. While it does take time and money to hire new recruits, finding the perfect new recruit will pay for themselves, essentially increasing the return on investment. Take the time to do research to improve your investment.