A strong job description is essential for successful recruitment. Employees are what make a business successful, so it should always be your goal to find the most talented, capable, and hardworking employees. The job description is what will attract these employees. With the programmer analyst position, you will be hiring someone that will review others’ work and is responsible for a great deal of corporate success. A poor posting will attract too many unqualified candidates or maybe even scare all readers off, leaving you with no options. How can you know what the best job description strategies are? The following programmer analyst job description sample should help you get started with writing your own. Take these suggestions into consideration before you get started.
Programmer Analyst Job Summary
Seeking programmer analyst to guarantee software requirement fulfillment, develop applications, and maintain quality. Design, computer science, and an analytical mind are essential to this exciting position.
Programmer Analyst Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Identify requirements through communication with department heads, clients, and development team.
- Organize and arrange project goals for use by other programmers.
- Improve and streamline programming done by the development team.
- Encode project requirements, enter coded information, and arrange data.
- Confirm successful operation of applications through extensive testing and modifying program codes.
- Maintain operational equipment, call for repairs, follow instructions by manufacturer, and evaluate equipment purchase choices.
- Protect programming and maintain confidentiality.
- Schedule team in post-production timeline.
- Update knowledge to remain relevant with requirements in a changing field.
- Maintain databases and update information.
Programmer Analyst Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor degree in computer programming or relevant field
- Three to five years experience in software development
- Leadership experience preferred
- Excellent organizational and communication skills required
- Must be available to begin working immediately
Development Fundamentals is an up and coming software development company that was founded in 2013. Our priority is serving our clients while maintaining and benefiting our employees’ careers in computer science. Through our three years of operation we have established strong ongoing relationships with over three hundred clients.
Writing a Job Description: Do’s and Don’ts
- This programmer analyst job description sample should help you get started with writing your own job description. Always remember to take time to review your posting and analyze it for potential improvements. The following list of do’s and don’ts will help you better understand what elements of your description can be improved.
- Do include a call to action. A short paragraph at the end of the job description should encourage readers to submit an application. If they read to the end, they likely are contemplating applying, so nudging them in the right direction can make a big difference. Also include submission guidelines in this section
- Don’t break company policy regarding salary information. It is acceptable to include this information or not to include it, so the most important aspect is following your company’s established policy.
- Do be intentional with each piece of information. If you choose to include something, know exactly what purpose it serves. It is not wise to try and imply anything. It is acceptable to save some information for the interview, so think about what you want to communication and what you want to hold back.
- Don’t write passively. It should be your goal to allow the reader to envision themselves in the position. The best strategy is to use vivid descriptions and start each bullet point with a strong action verb.
- Do spend time learning about the position before beginning writing. Consulting with someone already in a programmer analyst job can help you learn what daily tasks they have and how much time is spent on each task. Incorporate this information in the job description.
- Don’t forget to sell the company. In the company profile section, describe the best aspects of the company to get readers excited to work there. You can also mention how the business benefits the careers of its employees.
- Do keep the job description brief. If it takes longer than a few minutes to read, it is too long. Long job descriptions will intimidate or bore potential candidates.
Think of recruitment as an investment. It does take time and money, but the individual you hire can offer a return on these investments. If you find someone capable and hardworking, recruiting can pay for itself and provide long-term benefits.
Want to use this job description?
Programmer Analyst Job Responsibilities
When you are looking to hire a new programmer analyst, you need to present jobseekers with a beefy list of responsibilities that clearly communicates the breadth and depth of the position’s responsibilities. This is important because it gives potential applicants the opportunity to judge whether or not the job fits their own experience and capabilities. Making the list comprehensive attracts top tier candidates because it communicates a corporate atmosphere of direct communication and clear expectations in your programmer analyst job description.
Writing a programmer analyst job description with a working responsibilities section means presenting those responsibilities clearly, too. Use active language as you write, and start each bullet point with a specific verb. As you compose, limit yourself to between six and eight bullet points as well. That way, you will not overwhelm the jobseeker with a list of trivial tasks, but you will present a complete idea of what the job entails. Here are a few example responsibilities you might be able to adapt or use as programmer analyst job responsibilities in your own ad:
- Implement software solutions for identified bugs and security issues
- Coordinate with a team of programmer analysts working on each issue to reduce duplicated efforts
- Compose reports detailing the changes made with each bug fix
- Strategize new ways of achieving each project’s user experience and security goals
Programmer Analyst Job Specifications
On top of a stellar list of job responsibilities, a strong programmer analyst job description also needs to include a complete list of job specifications in the qualifications and skills section. That’s because this section serves as a checklist for jobseekers to focus on when determining whether or not they have the skills the job requires.
As you decide which programmer analyst job specifications to include in your job description, talk to the stakeholders who will be working with the new hire. Make sure the ad supports those needs without leaving skills or credentials out. Then, double-check the basic requirements for the job using online sources. That way, your list will be complete.
You will also want to make sure you use concise and active language to describe the skills. Avoid including examples of core job responsibilities here, and instead focus on the base of knowledge applicants need to possess to be able to successfully execute the job responsibilities. Here are a few examples of core skills you can use in your programmer analyst job description. Modify or adapt them as needed to fit your specific position:
- Proficiency in major programming languages including but not limited to C#, Python and Ruby
- Bachelor in Computer Science
- Network security certification
- Strong problem sensitivity and problem solving skills