If your organization needs a new programmer, then you want to hire the best person for the job the first time. It is not in anyone’s best interest to compromise on quality and hire someone who ends up not being qualified for the job. You may have to let that person go and start the application process all over again. Instead, you should take the time during the initial hiring process by ensuring the best people apply to the position so that you have your pick of the lot. There are many ways to attract the best workers to your business, and one of them is writing an amazing job description that catches people’s attention. Are you wondering what constitutes an amazing job description? Take a look at this programmer sample job description to get ideas for your own.
Programmer Job Summary
You will be accountable for modifying and creating completely new computer programs to help the company in all its endeavors. A thorough knowledge of coding is essential, and you need to be a hard worker who can work independently to get the job done in a timely fashion.
Programmer Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Enter coded information in order to program software
- Review program objectives to complete a job by the deadline. This may require you to consult with the client, supervisor or analyst to make sure everything is correct
- Conduct tests to make sure the program is working as it should
- Maintain a historical record of all programs so that revisions or upgrades can easily be made in the future
- Maintain client confidentiality
- Write operating instructions so that other individuals who are not as familiar with coding can utilize the program
- Troubleshoot malfunctions and conduct repairs when necessary
Programmer Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in information systems, computer science or a related field
- Minimum of two years of experience working as a programmer
- Strong technical and communication skills
- Quick learner and able to adapt
- Thorough knowledge of database development and design
- Able to work independently and meet deadlines
MAB Technology has been operating out of Chicago since 1967. We work hand-in-hand with the United States Army in order to provide first-class web applications, and we need experienced professionals to join our team. There are numerous opportunities to grow and hone your skills, so send in your resume today.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter
Writing a Job Description Best Practices
- Once you have the basic skeleton of your job description ready to go, there are a few things you should look out for as you are rereading it. Make sure it follows this list of rules so that it is fully optimized to capture the attention of job hunters.
- Do talk with people in your company who currently work as programmers. They might be able to tell you about a responsibility they do regularly that you left out. They may also tell you if there are any skills that should be added.
- Do make sure you are at liberty to discuss salary within your job description. If your company does not care, then feel free to add it. However, policies may be in place that forbid it. If that is the case, then leave it out. You should also check and see what benefits or additional perks can be mentioned that could be helpful in making candidates interested.
- Do mention what department the person would be working in and if the programmer would have any supervisors.
- Do include links to your company’s website and social media pages so that interested candidates can seek out extra information if they want.
- Do mention the location of your business. It is generally helpful to include an address so that candidates can get a sense of what the commute would be like. If you do not want the address in the description, at least mention what city and state you reside in.
- Do focus on the most important requirements for the job. Do not mention responsibilities that the programmer would only have to do every once in a while. Additionally, do not overly emphasize skills that are not absolutely essential. You only have so much space, so you need to make it count.
This programmer sample job description is a superb example of what you need to do for your own listing. With a few alterations to what is provided above, you should have no problem attracting the best programmers in your area.