Psychiatric aides help care for people who have developmental disabilities and mental illnesses. Much of what aides do include making sure there is a clean and safe environment for the patients and helping them with their daily activities. Psychiatric aides often participate in group activities, help transport patients and help restrain those who become violent.
When writing your psychiatric aide job description, make sure you incorporate the qualities you desire in an applicant. Good psychiatric aides have compassion for their patients and want to help. They must be able to get along with others and have patience working with challenging patients. Because of the physical nature of the job, they must also have stamina.
An aide should also have good observational skills and be sensitive to behavioral changes. The following psychiatric aide job description template demonstrates how to include these qualities and other key elements when writing your own.
Psychiatric Aide Job Summary
Our company is a leader in mental health care, and as a psychiatric aide you would play an integral role in our behavioral services. Your responsibilities will include assisting emotionally disturbed or mentally impaired patients in a variety of ways. Each day will present new challenges and varied routines while you provide physical, psychological, emotional or rehabilitative care for individuals of all ages. You will be closely supervised by, and report to, the medical and nursing staff on duty. Your care will help our patients stay clean, healthy and safe, and tending to their personal needs will help enrich their lives.
- Help patients with personal needs, such as personal hygiene, good grooming, dressing and eating
- Assist with routine physical checks, such as weighing patients and taking vital signs
- Provide rehabilitative, emotional, physical or psychological care as directed by medical and nursing staff
- Observe patient behaviors and report unusual conditions to appropriate professionals on duty
- Perform housekeeping tasks, such as making beds, washing clothes and changing bed linens
- Maintain safe surroundings by sanitizing and cleaning furnishings and patient care equipment
- Accompany patients to recreational activities, meals, clinics and field trips to ensure safety
- Administer prescribed medications and collect laboratory specimens as needed
- Encourage, supervise and organize patient participation in activities, such as counseling
- Record patient data, such as symptoms, vital signs, behavioral observations, injuries and accidents
- Help in restraining physically violent and hostile patients using proper intervention techniques
- Provide therapeutic care by daily interaction with patients and listening to their concerns
- Assist with the admission and discharge of patients
- Assist in emergency situations
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- CPR certification
- Ability to follow oral and written instruction
- Ability to deal with physically aggressive people
- Prior work experience in the mental health field
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
Writing a great psychiatric aide job description is a good step towards finding the right employee. Once you have created one that includes all of the key elements and detailed responsibilities of the position, you will need to post it where many jobseekers will see it. There are many posting opportunities you can take advantage of, including your company’s website, LinkedIn, Facebook and asking your employees to help spread the word.
Posting on online job boards presents a great way to reach multiple potential job candidates. Because there are so many job boards, it can take a lot of time to post on each individual one, and this takes away from performing other important job duties. To save you time, consider using MightyRecruiter, which will post your job on hundreds of boards for free.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter