Your psychiatric technician job description should highlight the most important job duties for the position. These duties include working as part of a team in providing therapeutic care to patients and monitoring their medical conditions. Technicians may also be responsible for administering medications according to physician instruction.
When creating your job description, emphasize the personal qualities important for the position. Psychiatric technicians need excellent interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with patients in the evaluation and treatment of their conditions. Sharp observational skills are also important, as technicians must recognize any issues patients may have.
Other important traits when working with the mentally ill are compassion and patience. Technicians should also exhibit both emotional and physical stamina, as they may be required to assist in restraining, moving and lifting patients. The example below will help you get a better idea of what to include in your psychiatric technician job description.
Psychiatric Technician Job Summary
Are you a compassionate person with a heart for service? Do you enjoy helping others achieve their potential? As a psychiatric technician at our facility, you’ll have the opportunity to improve the lives of others while assisting a dynamic team of medical professionals in providing treatment and care for people with mental and emotional conditions or disabilities. You’ll work alongside other empathetic individuals to provide therapeutic care to patients as you assist in the evaluation and treatment of their conditions. Join our team of dedicated professionals and get on-the-job training and competitive pay rates while making a difference in the lives of others.
- Promote a physically and emotionally safe environment, including conducting regular rounds and patient and property searches so patients can focus on managing their illnesses and disabilities to promote healing
- Facilitate healing relationships of patients through individual and group therapy opportunities
- Aid in basic patient care such as eating, bathing, dressing, and teaching and encouraging basic hygiene and other daily living skills while observing patient progress to identify the need for additional services or changes in current treatment
- Provide behavioral emergency assistance, such as patient restraint or basic first aid when needed, as well as recognize and report homicidal or suicidal behaviors
- Accompany physicians on rounds to update them on current patient care and condition, and maintain accurate and complete patient records and medical histories to ensure patients receive appropriate and effective care and treatment
- Carry out all physician orders, such as the dispensation of medication and the preparation of medications for home visits and outings
- Participate in staff meetings by reporting observations of patient behavior and progress in therapeutic and personal activities and interactions
- Assist with admission, transfer and discharge to ensure a smooth and comfortable transition for the patient
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED
- Strong communication skills
- CPR Certification (within 3 months of hire)
- Crisis Intervention training (within 3 months of hire)
- Postsecondary education in social work, counseling, psychology, sociology, health and human services or related field
- American Association of Psychiatric Technicians (AAPT) Certification
- Valid driver’s license
Creating a winning psychiatric technician job description is just one step toward finding the best candidate for the position. To reach the broadest pool of qualified candidates, your posting should appear on multiple job boards, your company website and social media sites. Make sure the right people see the recruitment by posting in the right places.
Psychiatric technicians may utilize other sources such as campus career centers and professional organization websites to locate potential jobs in the field, but job boards remain one of the most popular avenues for jobseekers. Posting to so many places may take a significant amount of time, but with the help of MightyRecruiter, you can post jobs for free on hundreds of boards simultaneously.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter