Psychiatrists are medical doctors who treat mental illnesses through medication and/or talk therapy. They consult with clients to determine potential mental health conditions, and they also conduct tests to see if there is a physical underlying problem contributing to the disorder.
When it comes to the skills section of your psychiatrist job description, you will want to highlight listening and communication skills. This is because it is common for psychiatrists to observe behavior patterns of individuals and groups to determine how well an individual relates to others and the environment. They also study cognitive and emotional experiences and social interactions.
It is also important to ensure that they have the proper education and licensure to study psychiatry. Review the example psychiatrist job description to discover other items to list in your posting.
Psychiatrist Job Summary
Join our team as a psychiatrist and become an integral part of a small, family-run practice with a patient-first focus. You will have the opportunity to provide holistic, integrated care to adults in a collaborative environment for mind-body healing. In addition to facilitating ongoing patient care, you will provide emergency psychiatric consultations and offer recommendations for hospitalization or intensive outpatient care. Many of our patients are referred from local doctors and hospitals. As part of our team, you will have ample opportunities for research and publication, as well as continuing education. We pride ourselves on being at the forefront of our field and wish to provide space for the development of our practitioners.
- Diagnose mental health conditions based on patient health history, discussions with the patient and information provided from relatives and other health professionals
- Administer and/or prescribe pharmaceutical or psychotherapeutic interventions on an ongoing basis for treatment of behavioral, emotional or mental disorders
- Create individual patient protocols that incorporate multiple treatment methodologies, and make adjustments as needed for enhanced patient response
- Run diagnostic and laboratory tests on patients to learn additional information about their physical and/or mental health, as well as their improvement over time
- Communicate with additional mental and physical health professionals, such as physicians, psychologists, nurses and social workers, to provide seamless continuum of care
- Discuss treatment protocols and diagnoses with patient caregivers, and advise as appropriate
- Collaborate with other members of the team, and evaluate their diagnosis and treatment protocols upon request to ensure the best in patient care
- Attend conferences, conduct research, publish articles in peer review journals and engage in continuing education to remain aware of the latest innovations in the field
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Doctor of Medicine or Osteopathic Medicine
- Board Certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Current and valid license to practice psychiatry in the state
- Current and unrestricted DEA registration
- Hospital or ER experience
- Minimum three years’ clinical practice in psychiatry
Finding the best and most qualified candidates starts with a superb psychiatrist job description. However, that is just the beginning. You also need to post your description so that the right people come across it and apply.
Although you want to start by looking at some of the popular online job boards, it is also valuable to post the job description on your own website and social media profiles. It is also beneficial to post it on professional organizations’ sites. You can also discuss the opening with your current employees to see if they have any referrals to send your way. One way to get your posting out to a wide pool of potential applicants is to post to free job boards with one simple upload on MightyRecruiter.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter