Psychology teachers introduce students to all aspects of psychological study. Introductory courses cover basic concepts, while higher-level courses cover specific areas, such as abnormal psychology and developmental psychology.
The level of education required to teach psychology varies depending on the level of instruction. For high school coursework, teachers may only need a bachelor’s degree, but to teach college courses a PhD is generally required. Be sure to specify the level of education required for your position in your psychology teacher job description.
Teaching psychology requires a deep knowledge of the subject matter and the capacity to share that knowledge in an understandable way. Even accomplished researchers may not have the skills to teach, so it’s a good idea to emphasize the requirements of lecturing, meeting with students and evaluating student work. Review the example below for more ideas of what to include in a strong psychology teacher job description.
Psychology Teacher Job Summary
As a psychology teacher for City University, you’ll be introducing some of the brightest students in the state to the world of psychology, teaching courses from introductory to graduate levels. We strive to assign our instructors to courses in their particular areas of specialization so students in the major can get a taste of the different research areas in the field and so teachers can share the areas of study they’re most passionate about. In all levels of coursework, instructors have the freedom to design their own syllabi, choose their preferred textbooks and reading materials and create unique assignments that help students learn the tenets of this expansive field.
- Teach four courses per semester, usually including one to two sections of Introduction to Psychology
- Hold six office hours per week when you’ll be available to meet with students and discuss any questions or concerns about coursework
- Write syllabi for each course taught and submit class plan to the department head
- Serve on at least one committee per semester in the area of your choosing, depending on the needs of the department
- Assign and evaluate coursework, including at least two 5,000-word papers per course.
- For Introduction to Psychology courses, participate in the department-wide assessment by preparing your students for the final in-class essay and taking part in blind evaluations of all essays
- Mentor students in the major, serving as academic adviser to students in your specialization and assisting them in writing their graduate theses
- Report all incidents of plagiarism and other academic misbehavior to the department for academic integrity, and enforce the department’s decisions regarding penalization
Job Skills & Qualifications
- PhD in Psychology from an accredited university
- Experience teaching in the discipline at the college level
- Publication in peer-reviewed journals
- Commitment to active engagement with students
- At least one book-length publication in the discipline
- Experience using Blackboard course organization software
- Specialization in developmental psychology
A strong and engaging psychology teacher job description will attract the best candidates to apply for your position, but only if you post your job in high-traffic areas where the right people see it. A good place to start is posting on your school or university’s website where the job will likely be seen by candidates looking for work in your area.
To cast a wider net, you want to post on sites that get more traffic than your individual school’s website. You have many options for places to post your position on the internet, but not all job boards are created equal, and choosing the right ones can be difficult and time-consuming. Let MightyRecruiter help with free job postings on hundreds of the most popular job sites.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter