Purchasing managers make a living by obtaining goods, services and supplies for companies, organizations and government agencies. They interact with vendors on a regular basis and often work with large sums of money. In addition to actually procuring items, they are often charged with assessing the company’s supply needs.
Purchasing professionals should have a firm understanding of budgeting since a significant portion of the job involves purchasing items at the lowest prices possible. Purchasing managers should place a strong emphasis on their negotiation and finance skills. Any purchasing manager job description should include these two skills.
Overall, purchasing managers need to have strong mathematical skills as well as an understanding of the business world. The following purchasing manager job description template can serve as a blueprint for your own description.
Purchasing Manager Job Summary
As our premier purchasing manager, we’ll depend on you to purchase supplies for external vendors. When making a purchase, the executive team will provide you with a budget to adhere to. In this position, you will have a large degree of freedom in regards to the negotiation and cost reduction. This is a great role for anyone with prior purchasing experience and a strong desire to contribute to a positive and supportive workplace. Applicants will also need to be comfortable with traveling to vendor sites on a regular basis (sites are sometimes in other cities). In this role, you will report to the Chief Operating Officer and department supervisor.
- Schedule the delivery of supplies and ensure vendors arrive on time; make sure inventory is accurate and sufficient
- Negotiate with external vendors in regards to product prices and wholesale prices; aim to stay below assigned budget at all times
- Inspect each delivery of supplies for quality, safety and quantity; report any shortages or damages to department supervisor
- Coordinate purchasing efforts between various departments and ensure each department is aware of supply list
- Supervise small team of purchasing assistants and provide feedback during quarterly evaluations
- Meet with supervisors and executives on a monthly basis; discuss ways that company purchasing policies can be improved; advocate for small team of purchasing professionals
- Keep track of incoming and outcoming orders of products; enter written data into electronic database at the beginning and end of each workday; present data to supervisors in graphic form
- Take monthly inventory and ensure company has an adequate amount of supplies; contact vendors prior to delivery and inform them of inventory needs
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Strong negotiation and communication skills
- Bachelor of Science in Business Management, Accounting or Finance
- Willingness to travel up to 40 percent of time
- Capable of using computer accounting software programs
- Prior experience as a purchasing manager or corporate buyer
- Able to work overtime and some weekends
- Supervisory or management experience
No matter how well-written your purchasing manager job description is, it will not garner attention if you fail to post it in the right place. Crafting a captivating and interesting job description is only half of the job. If you want to attract the best candidates, you will need to post your job on a site that appeals to them. Social media is also an excellent avenue for finding the right type of candidates, so be sure to take full advantage of your company’s accounts.
Social media and referrals are great, but a highly-trafficked internet job board is a recruiter’s best friend. Millions of jobseekers utilize these internet job boards, so it only makes sense for you to do the same. If you are ready to post your job and fill the position, allow MightyRecruiter to distribute your description to hundreds of the most popular internet job boards with free job postings.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter