Recreation workers are employed in a variety of settings, such as youth camps, long-term care facilities, and parks. They plan as well as lead activities for their therapeutic value for clients’ fitness, skill development and socialization. Some activity types are aquatics, performance art, arts and crafts and cultural presentations.
You will want to mention excellent communication ability as a required skill in your recreation worker job description because recreation workers spend most of their time verbally instructing and leading groups of people. Clear communication is also needed to keep clients safe and on task.
Another skill to emphasize in your job description is strong problem-solving skills. When issues arise during an activity, recreation workers need to think quickly to bring a successful resolution to any difficulties. Check out this recreation worker job description to see how to organize and write your job
Recreation Worker Job Summary
Are you ready to share your talents and abilities with youth at the Pine Lake Summer Camp? We are looking for friendly individuals who enjoy working with elementary and middle school-aged children in a fun, natural setting. Our recreation workers lead sports, teach arts and crafts and work as instructors in our aquatic program. More than just keeping kids busy, recreation is a way to learn new hobbies and skills while gaining valuable socialization at the same time. This summer position is a great opportunity for individuals pursuing a career in education or recreation and leisure studies. Apply today for a summer full of adventure at Pine Lake!
- Plan appropriate group activities within the activity designations that teach or refine skills
- Organize all equipment and supplies needed for activities ahead of the scheduled activity time
- Communicate clearly to individuals and groups to explain activity steps, rules and safety instructions to maintain an orderly activity and a safe environment
- Lead children of all ages, acting as a role model at all times
- Modify instructions and scope of activity to accommodate various age and skill levels so a safe and satisfying experience is had by all participants
- Enforce camp rules at all times, including safety measures unique to each different activity
- Carry a first aid kit with you at all times to give first aid to injured or sick campers and inform the camp nurse of any camper health issues that arise
- Remain flexible with camp programming in the event that weather or personnel changes necessitate a change in program plans
Job Skills & Qualifications
- First aid training and CPR Certification
- Clear background check
- Excellent communication skills with a variety of ages
- Leadership and problem-solving skills with both large and small groups
- Teaching experience
- Background in childcare
When you need to generate a staff roster for seasonal positions, you want your recreation worker job description to reach as many people as you can as quickly as possible. With the number of online job outlets, such as social media platforms, job boards and organizational websites, it can be hard to find a few outlets that will give you exposure to the majority of the eligible job seekers out there. It is a big commitment of time to post a job description to even eight or nine sites, which is why it’s best to expand your reach and your possibilities.
The solution to this dilemma is to use MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free to hundreds of job boards at once by visiting just one site.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter