Recyclable materials collectors aid the operations of government waste management programs by ensuring residential and commercial recyclable items are picked up and taken to the appropriate facilities. They typically collect and dump recyclables from containers into the storage area of a collection truck. Depending on the program, some professionals may operate the truck as well as collect materials.
When crafting your recyclable material collector job description, include both required and preferred job qualifications. In many municipalities, these employees must also be able to drive a commercial truck and work odd shifts. If you need the candidate to perform heavy lifting, be sure to specify a minimum weight requirement.
Overall, recyclable materials collection professionals must have good listening and communication skills as well as the capability to work with others in a team. This sample recyclable material collector job description should provide a helpful guide to writing your own.
Recyclable Material Collector Job Summary
If you value working in a team-oriented environment where your contributions help make a huge difference, our open recyclable materials collector position may be the perfect opportunity for you. As part of the waste management division for a municipal public works organization, you’ll aid other collection professionals in a heavily populated suburban area, gathering recyclables in several residential neighborhoods. You’re sure to love the opportunity to work interdependently as part of a collection team, putting to use your organizational skills, attention to detail and regard for safety and cleanliness. As one of our collection associates, you’ll enjoy competitive pay and benefits, along with potential advancement opportunities. If you’re looking for an active, fast-paced environment that offers unique challenges of its own, apply today for a chance to join our team.
- Inspect trucks before embarking on daily collection schedule to verify safe and reliable operation
- Operate large collection trucks by driving them along pre-established routes, including residential streets and alleys
- Operate mechanical hoisting devices to lift recyclables bins and empty contents into the temporary storage hold of a truck
- Compress recyclable materials to aid in easier transport and storage
- Ride on collection trucks traveling their regular routes, dismounting and remounting as needed to collect and dump recyclables
- Maintain trucks by performing basic functions, such as cleaning, filling gas tanks or changing essential fluids
- Communicate with coworkers about road work, unsafe sites, equipment issues, accidents or other incidents
- Communicate with residents about issues affecting the safe collection of their recyclable materials, such as excess items, items incorrectly placed in recycling bins, property hazards preventing the collection of materials and delays
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds
- Valid Class A or Class B commercial driver’s license with airbrake endorsement
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Ability to work early morning shifts
- Pass drug screening and background checks
- Possess a clean driving record
- Ability to repeatedly stand, push, pull and lift
- At least one year of experience operating commercial trucks
Recyclable Material Collector Job Responsibilities
The job responsibilities section of your recyclable material collector job description should be the longest portion of the listing. The reason is that it needs to go over crucial tasks applicants will perform frequently. Candidates know from reading this section if they are ready for this kind of position. Therefore, you limit the number of applications you receive; you do not get as many resumes for the open position from unqualified individuals, allowing you to save time and energy.
It is good to list the recyclable material collector job responsibilities as bullet points. It makes it less daunting to read for jobseekers. Additionally, each point needs to begin with an active verb. Ideally, jobseekers will envision themselves in the role. It also helps keep each point short and concise. You do not want to give candidates several pages of text to read through.
Common tasks you will often find on a recyclable material collector job description include the following.
- Drive trucks through residential neighborhoods to pick up recycle bins
- Communicate with company dispatchers to inform them of any delays or accidents
- Take trucks to disposal sites to drop off recyclable materials
- Clean trucks routinely and perform regular maintenance to keep them in good working condition
Recyclable Material Collector Job Specifications
You should list various recyclable material collector job specifications to further reduce the number of jobseekers who apply. By listing qualifications, such as education or experience desired, people will know whether they should even bother sending in a resume. In an ideal situation, hiring managers only receive applications from people who would make excellent additions to the team. Hiring managers should get their pick of the litter after posting their recyclable material collector job description onto message boards.
When trying to come up with a list, it is good to determine which characteristics are deal breakers. This means finding out which traits are mandatory, such as a clean driver’s license and experience driving commercial vehicles, and figuring out which ones are just good to have. If you post too many specifications, then you risk only receiving applications from over-qualified candidates. These employees may not stick with a company for too long once they find something that better suits their qualifications. Try to aim for having somewhere between four and six bullet points for this section. It would be advantageous to list the following skills on a recyclable material collector job description.
- Class A or Class B commercial drivers’ license
- Minimum of one year of experience operating commercial vehicles
- Basic automotive knowledge
- Strong critical thinking skills