Recyclable materials collectors aid the operations of government waste management programs by ensuring residential and commercial recyclable items are picked up and taken to the appropriate facilities. They typically collect and dump recyclables from containers into the storage area of a collection truck. Depending on the program, some professionals may operate the truck as well as collect materials.
When crafting your recyclable material collector job description, include both required and preferred job qualifications. In many municipalities, these employees must also be able to drive a commercial truck and work odd shifts. If you need the candidate to perform heavy lifting, be sure to specify a minimum weight requirement.
Overall, recyclable materials collection professionals must have good listening and communication skills as well as the capability to work with others in a team. This sample recyclable material collector job description should provide a helpful guide to writing your own.
Recyclable Material Collector Job Summary
If you value working in a team-oriented environment where your contributions help make a huge difference, our open recyclable materials collector position may be the perfect opportunity for you. As part of the waste management division for a municipal public works organization, you’ll aid other collection professionals in a heavily populated suburban area, gathering recyclables in several residential neighborhoods. You’re sure to love the opportunity to work interdependently as part of a collection team, putting to use your organizational skills, attention to detail and regard for safety and cleanliness. As one of our collection associates, you’ll enjoy competitive pay and benefits, along with potential advancement opportunities. If you’re looking for an active, fast-paced environment that offers unique challenges of its own, apply today for a chance to join our team.
- Inspect trucks before embarking on daily collection schedule to verify safe and reliable operation
- Operate large collection trucks by driving them along pre-established routes, including residential streets and alleys
- Operate mechanical hoisting devices to lift recyclables bins and empty contents into the temporary storage hold of a truck
- Compress recyclable materials to aid in easier transport and storage
- Ride on collection trucks traveling their regular routes, dismounting and remounting as needed to collect and dump recyclables
- Maintain trucks by performing basic functions, such as cleaning, filling gas tanks or changing essential fluids
- Communicate with coworkers about road work, unsafe sites, equipment issues, accidents or other incidents
- Communicate with residents about issues affecting the safe collection of their recyclable materials, such as excess items, items incorrectly placed in recycling bins, property hazards preventing the collection of materials and delays
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds
- Valid Class A or Class B commercial driver’s license with airbrake endorsement
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Ability to work early morning shifts
- Pass drug screening and background checks
- Possess a clean driving record
- Ability to repeatedly stand, push, pull and lift
- At least one year of experience operating commercial trucks
You may have crafted a stellar, attention-grabbing recyclable material collector job description. However, it does you no good if no one reads it. After you’ve written the description, you need a good strategy to get it seen far and wide by the kinds of job candidates you want. Keep in mind that posting the job description to your company’s own website is a great start, but you’ll also want to share it on social media networks and ask your employees to circulate it within their own professional and social circles.
In addition to these strategies, getting your description posted onto online job boards could also potentially gain you a diverse, qualified pool of applicants. Once you’ve worked your description into its final form, let MightyRecruiter help with the ability to post jobs for free on hundreds of sites around the web.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter