An accurate, well-prepared job description is the basis for a productive and low-stress hiring process. If you remember to include all pertinent information in the job listing, you can avoid much confusion and possibly attract a higher number of well-qualified candidates. For example, if you include detailed information about the nature of the position and the required experience, people who do not qualify will be less likely to apply. We have prepared the following Regional Sales Manager job description sample so you can see how all the different sections come together.
Regional Sales Manager Job Summary
As the Midwest Regional Sales Manager for Mountain Man Footwear, you will oversee a team of sales representatives and lead their efforts to get the latest Mountain Man products into local and regional retail stores. We offer a competitive base rate, plus bonuses based on personal and team performance.
Regional Sales Manager Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Recruit and train sales reps
- Schedule work hours
- Set sales goals
- Analyze sales data
- Prepare annual budgets
- Participate in regional and national sales and marketing meetings
- Create new training materials based on current needs and industry trends
- Train sales reps on new products
- Participate in ongoing training and education
Regional Sales Manager Skills and Qualifications
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Leadership skills
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Experience managing a sales territory
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Five years’ sales experience required
- Two years’ experience in a supervisory position required (can overlap with sales experience)
Mountain Man Footwear was founded in 2013 to provide authentic yet modern moccasins for the contemporary man or woman. We pride ourselves on using sustainable leather and traditional manufacturing methods in all of our products.
What started out as a two-man company has blossomed into a national sensation, as consumers seek out products that are functional, beautiful and sustainably made. We have recently made the transition from selling direct-to-customers via web and mail order to placing our products in boutiques and quality clothing retailers throughout the United States. Our current team of passionate, self-starting sales reps is expanding, and we are setting up regional offices across the nation.
Apply now by emailing your resume and a brief statement about why you would like to work at Mountain Man to email@example.com.
Writing a Job Description Best Practices
- Writing a good job description is not difficult once you know what to include and what to leave out. Consider these points when deciding how to proceed:
- Keep the job title interesting, but clear. If you are advertising for a regional sales manager, “regional sales manager” is the best phrase to use. You could add your product name to differentiate your ad, in this case saying something like “leather moccasins regional sales manager.” No matter how you choose to name the position, be specific and stay away from overly-broad titles like “sales” or “manager.”
- Think about how job seekers would search for the job you are advertising. The best way to optimize your ad to show up in Internet search results is to put yourself in the job seeker’s position and think about what words and phrases you would use if you were searching for a similar job. Remember to include the city and state where the position is based.
- Double-check the list of responsibilities to ensure you have not forgotten anything that seems obvious to you but possibly not to others. For example, is travel required? If so, what percentage of the time? How many people does this position supervise?
- Use bullet points to break up the information and make it easier to identify the requirements and preferred qualifications.
- Mention any benefits or perks relevant to the position, even if your company policy prohibits listing specific salaries or if pay rates vary based on sales or other factors. Do your best to show potential candidates what is in it for them.
- Always include a call to action and specific directions on how to apply. Effective calls to action (CTAs) include “apply now” and “email your resume today.” Remember to include an email address or phone number so people know how to get more information or apply.
The Regional Sales Manager job description sample above is an example of what a job description should look like in order to attract and retain top talent for your company. Taking the time now to craft a solid job description pays off later during the hiring and training process.
Want to use this job description?
Regional Sales Manager Job Responsibilities
The foundation of any successful business is steady income, and for most companies, this relies on the performance of a dedicated sales team. At the head of such a team should be a manager who can effectively lead, train and motivate staff to maximize sales opportunities. If your business is seeking the right candidate for this role, writing a stellar regional sales manager job description is a good place to start.
Outlining the major duties of the position is imperative if you want to weed out the wrong candidates and attract those who are the best fit. When you write your regional sales manager job responsibilities section, you should use vivid language, use action words whenever possible and include between 6-8 items in a bulleted list. Here are some examples you might include in your regional sales manager job description:
- Utilize platforms such as email, phone calls, social media and networking to build strong clientele of loyal and satisfied customers
- Supervise team of sales personnel by providing training and guidance towards implementing effective sales strategies
- Find active leads for regional sales and give to sales personnel for follow up and lifecycle sales management
- Manage clientele by offering support before, during and after the sales process
Regional Sales Manager Job Specifications
The right regional sales manager candidate will be capable of and enthusiastic about the aforementioned job responsibilities. There is more to the job than just its responsibilities, though, as any recruiter will know. The right match will also be highly qualified for the work at hand, but how do you write a regional sales manager job description that attracts such candidates? The answer lies in the job qualifications and skills section you include in the job listing—this is one of the most vital aspect of your whole job posting.
Compiling a list of clear regional sales manager job specifications will cut out applications from those candidates who are either over- or underqualified. This is the place to indicate what level of education you expect, how many years of experience you require and what skills are absolutely essential to the job. Your regional sales manager job description can benefit from between four and six specifications outlined in bullet points. You can model your own specifications after these examples:
- Bachelor’s in Business, Marketing or related field
- At least 2 years of experience in a supervisory role
- 3-5 years of experience in sales or marketing
- Strong track record of success in B2B sales
- Familiarity with Microsoft suite
- Excellent customer service skills