Rehabilitation counselors are tasked with helping people with certain disabilities live independently. They often work with clients with physical, developmental, emotional and mental disabilities who need assistance overcoming and managing the personal, psychological and social effects of their situations on their ability to be independent and gainfully employed.
It is vital that rehabilitation counselors have a strong ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing so they can work with their clients. They must also have a great deal of compassion and employ empathy when working with clients in distressing situations. These are important skills to include in your rehabilitation counselor job description.
Patience, listening skills and the ability to work with many different people from a variety of socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds is also essential. Look to our complete rehabilitation counselor job description template, found below, for more insight on what you should include in a top-notch job description.
Rehabilitation Counselor Job Summary
We are looking for a compassionate, skilled and dedicated rehabilitation counselor to join our team of dynamic workers to aid our clients in regaining and maintaining independence in their everyday lives. You will be given the opportunity to work with a multidisciplinary team and one-on-one with certain patients, creating a care plan that will help them accomplish their goals. All work will take place under the direction of the Assistant Director, and you will have his/her guidance and experience to help guide you through making qualified decisions regarding client care and planning. If you have a deep desire to help others and want to change the world one person at a time, this could be the perfect position for you.
- Meet with clients to discuss their goals, preferences and available options prior to creating individualized rehabilitation plans
- Create rehabilitation plans for clients per their individual education levels, aptitudes, physical abilities and goals for future employment, modifying each as care continues
- Work closely with a team of physicians, occupational therapists, psychologist and other medical and mental health professionals to create and execute client rehabilitation programs ideally suited for clients’ specific needs
- Maintain case files and records for clients, documenting each person’s personal information, eligibility, insurance, services provided, correspondence and client contact narratives
- Closely monitor and document client progress to determine whether goals are met or need to be modified for success
- Maintain constant contact with clients while they engage in job training, occupational placement programs and other on-site programs, and resolve any placement problems as they arise
- Work closely with clients’ family and friends to determine how client needs can be met most effectively
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Master’s Degree in Social Work, Psychology, Human Services, Rehabilitation or Counseling
- Licensed Rehabilitation Counselor or Certified Rehabilitation Counselor
- Four or more years of full-time work in social, vocational or rehabilitation counseling
- Experience working with adults who live with persistent and severe mental illness
- Familiarity with psychological tests, how to administer them and the use of other evaluation techniques
When you are trying to find the perfect candidate for your open position, writing a great rehabilitation counselor job description is just the first step in the process. After crafting the most effective job description and post possible, it is essential to put it in the right place to attract the best talent.
There are numerous places you can place a job post, including social media, company websites and intercompany email systems. However, job boards remain one of the top places and will likely stay at the top despite how time-consuming the posting process can be. Simplify your life and post jobs for free to hundreds of boards all at once by utilizing MightyRecruiter.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter