Rental clerks perform a variety of duties related to customer service. They assess customer needs and ensure clients are provided with the best products and services. Duties also include cashiering and handing products over to customers, as well as evaluating customer satisfaction and solving any minor problems or issues that arise in the rental process.
Rental clerks handle money and maintain paperwork, so they need to have a strong attention to detail and organizational capabilities. Use the skills section of your rental clerk job description to highlight these qualities and stress that strong candidates need good communication and interpersonal skills for addressing customer questions and concerns.
Many rental clerk positions include physical requirements, such as standing for long periods or lifting heavy equipment, so be sure to include those qualities as well. Review the rental clerk job description below for more ideas of what to include in your job posting.
Rental Clerk Job Summary
When you join our team as a rental clerk, you become part of our family of high-quality tool and machinery providers. We pride ourselves on helping customers accomplish the jobs they need to get done. If you feel a sense of accomplishment helping people complete do-it-yourself projects they never knew they were capable of, this is the position for you. You’ll be the point person for all customer interactions, helping them determine their rental needs and providing them the right tools for the jobs they want to complete. When the job is done, you’ll also be the one to collect returned items and make sure customers are satisfied with our products so they return to us for all their future rental needs.
- Greet customers when they come up to the rental counter and offer your assistance, answering any questions they may have and helping them figure out the best tool or machine for their job
- Evaluate customer satisfaction with all products and services and work to solve any problems or concerns customers express
- Explain rental options for hourly, daily and weekly rates as well as our full rental terms
- Be knowledgeable about the most common tools we rent so you can explain them to customers in detail, and be able to use our catalog to look up less common items and help customers determine the correct tool for any job
- Review all incoming paperwork from customers to ensure completeness and accuracy and maintain records of all rentals
- Locate rental items for customers and restore all returned items to the proper storage area, making sure they are clean and ready for the next customer to use
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds on a regular basis
- Previous customer service experience
- Knowledge of tools and machinery
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- An interest in do-it-yourself projects
Having a great rental clerk job description will only work if you post your job listing in the places job seekers most often look. It’s a good idea to start your applicant search by sharing your available job on your company’s website and social media accounts to draw applicants who already know you and your business.
For specialized types of businesses, trade magazines or newspapers can also provide an audience interested in what your company does. To widen the candidate pool, though, you definitely want your job posted on the major online job boards as well. With MightyRecruiter, you can take a big step in the right direction with free job postings to hundreds of online job boards.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter