Rental clerks perform a variety of duties related to customer service. They assess customer needs and ensure clients are provided with the best products and services. Duties also include cashiering and handing products over to customers, as well as evaluating customer satisfaction and solving any minor problems or issues that arise in the rental process.
Rental clerks handle money and maintain paperwork, so they need to have a strong attention to detail and organizational capabilities. Use the skills section of your rental clerk job description to highlight these qualities and stress that strong candidates need good communication and interpersonal skills for addressing customer questions and concerns.
Many rental clerk positions include physical requirements, such as standing for long periods or lifting heavy equipment, so be sure to include those qualities as well. Review the rental clerk job description below for more ideas of what to include in your job posting.
Rental Clerk Job Summary
When you join our team as a rental clerk, you become part of our family of high-quality tool and machinery providers. We pride ourselves on helping customers accomplish the jobs they need to get done. If you feel a sense of accomplishment helping people complete do-it-yourself projects they never knew they were capable of, this is the position for you. You’ll be the point person for all customer interactions, helping them determine their rental needs and providing them the right tools for the jobs they want to complete. When the job is done, you’ll also be the one to collect returned items and make sure customers are satisfied with our products so they return to us for all their future rental needs.
- Greet customers when they come up to the rental counter and offer your assistance, answering any questions they may have and helping them figure out the best tool or machine for their job
- Evaluate customer satisfaction with all products and services and work to solve any problems or concerns customers express
- Explain rental options for hourly, daily and weekly rates as well as our full rental terms
- Be knowledgeable about the most common tools we rent so you can explain them to customers in detail, and be able to use our catalog to look up less common items and help customers determine the correct tool for any job
- Review all incoming paperwork from customers to ensure completeness and accuracy and maintain records of all rentals
- Locate rental items for customers and restore all returned items to the proper storage area, making sure they are clean and ready for the next customer to use
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds on a regular basis
- Previous customer service experience
- Knowledge of tools and machinery
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- An interest in do-it-yourself projects
Rental Clerk Job Responsibilities
When completing your rental clerk job description, make sure to focus on the responsibilities section, where readers learn about the daily tasks that you expect of candidates. To make your job posting stronger, make the rental clerk job responsibilities section the one with the most substance.
You may format this section with a bulleted list, but take the time to draft it carefully because if it is too short, readers can feel uninformed. If it is too long, on the other hand, they may become overwhelmed. 6-8 bullet points are a good balance. Additionally, begin each point with a strong action verb for emphasis. Doing so follows a formatting standard that strengthens your rental clerk job description by focusing it solely on expected behaviors. It also helps readers envision themselves in the position.
The following sample entries include a small selection of verb choices that are especially relevant to this position:
- Resolve customer complaints tactfully, answer inquiries and complete transactions
- Compute charges, accept payment and provide change accurately and quickly
- Provide assistance, recommendations and advice to customers regarding rental products
- Ensure that customers feel comfortable asking for assistance to find everything they need
- Welcome all clients warmly as they enter the facility
Rental Clerk Job Specifications
Your rental clerk job description should include a job qualifications and skills section that briefly details the attributes necessary to apply. Do not let the short length of this section fool you, however, because it is one of the most important parts of the posting. After reading the rental clerk job specifications, candidates should understand whether they qualify for the position. This means the information needs to be as clear as possible. If you neglect spending sufficient time drafting the criteria, you may end up wasting time with an overwhelming number of unsatisfactory applications to sort.
We recommend that you separate this section into two categories: mandatory and preferred qualifications. Preferences may be skill sets or behavioral qualities, while essentials are usually education, certificates and previous work experiences. The hiring manager should be able to help you sort all the proficiencies into one of these two categories.
These sample entries include both as well, to help you strengthen your rental clerk job description:
- Two years of working experience in retail or service; four years preferred
- Experience in a leadership position preferred
- Excellent interpersonal and professional communication skills
- Must be highly organized, confident completing administrative tasks and strong in critical thinking abilities