A reporter works with a news agency, which can be a newspaper, television station, radio station or website, to write stories about news events. A reporter may specialize in a specific type of story, such as breaking news, politics, sports, personal interest or entertainment. Part of the job may also include presenting news stories to an audience.
In your reporter job description, you need to highlight the various skills required for this job. These include a professional grasp of the English language, excellent writing skills, interview skills and the ability to craft a compelling story. Reporters also need to be skilled at research and investigation.
A reporter may also need to have editing skills and be able to write various drafts of a story to be used across different types of media. To help assist you as you work on your reporter job description, you can look over the following example.
Reporter Job Summary
Are you skilled at constructing a story that is clear and engaging? If you have professional writing skills and the ability to put together a story based on investigation and research, we have the position for you. We are a local newspaper looking for a reporter who can cover any news story that is assigned, which could be a local sports event, a national political scandal or a heart-wrenching public interest piece. Our staff is small, but we pride ourselves on presenting unbiased, factual-based pieces that will pique our readers’ interests and compel them to choose us as their news source. You will fit in nicely if you are committed to ethical reporting and have a strong desire to educate and inform the public on news events.
- Develop story ideas based on leads or as assigned by conducting research, investigating and observing
- Write stories using proper grammar and following AP style guidelines while also ensuring they are compelling and professional in style and presentation
- Edit written pieces by other reporters on staff to check for clarity, grammar and overall story presentation; make suggestions and assist with any revisions that need to be made
- Rework pieces as requested by managing editor or staff editors and update pieces as needed for ongoing or developing stories
- Arrange and conduct interviews when needed to collect witness statements, get information from experts or individuals involved or work on a lead for a proposed story
- Create relationships with members of the community, law enforcement and other agencies to develop access to credible sources for future stories
- Convert stories to be posted on company website, and create social media posts to drive traffic to the website
- Meet all deadlines for projects as requested by managing editor
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or English
- Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays
- A focus on producing accurate and factual stories
- Experience as a newspaper reporter or newspaper intern
- Proficiency with computers and other office equipment
- Experience with social media posting and management
- Background knowledge of politics and/or sports
Creating and drafting your reporter job description is only half the battle of trying to find the right candidate for the job. The second half is posting the description and trying to reel in people who fit your qualifications and would be a good fit for the position. You should always post it on your website and social media pages, but you also need to get it on job boards.
Job boards are a source for a large pool of potential employees. Your ad needs to be posted on as many as possible, but this takes quite a bit of time if you are posting them one by one. Instead, use MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free across hundreds of job boards all at once.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter