A residential advisor is tasked with coordinating activities in residential facilities, such as group homes, college dormitories and similar establishments. They may be charged with supplying the facility, scheduling maintenance and repairs, or locating and providing furnishings for residents.
It is important to include the most essential required skills and qualities on your residential advisor job description. Interpersonal skills are key, because residential advisors must work closely with those in their facilities to accomplish their tasks. They must also have excellent organizational, monitoring and coordination skills to ensure all tasks are completed on time and to the proper degree.
The knowledge of and ability to perform emergency first aid is also key, as residential advisors may be called upon by their residents for assistance. Consult the residential advisor job description found below to get a more comprehensive look at what to include in your own job posting.
Residential Advisor Job Summary
Are you good with people? Do you have a deep desire to help others by leading by example? Are you organized and able to take charge in difficult situations? We are looking for residential advisors to oversee dorm activities and ensure the facility runs as smoothly as possible. In this position, you will have the ability to build deep, lasting relationships with residents, help them through difficulties that may arise in their personal lives and ensure that their residential needs are met. You will have autonomy in your activities with little supervision and the freedom to engage residents as you see fit. You will work directly under the supervision of residential services management to ensure all goals are met and you residents always remain safe, well-adjusted to dormitory life and engaged.
- Enforce regulations and rules to create a safe, hospitable and inviting atmosphere throughout the dormitory
- Create an enrichment program full of interesting, engaging and rewarding activities for residents to engage in, which will provide them with additional knowledge and experience or fulfil their recreational desires
- Provide residents and their guests with emergency first aid assistance when necessary during medical situations
- Act as mediator between residents when interpersonal problems and disputes arise
- Make rounds several times a day to ensure that all residents are following rules and regulations, and that the facilities are safe and properly maintained
- Provide students with counsel regarding difficult life events and family, educational and financial problems as they arise
- Collaborate with other professionals, such as counselors and psychologists, to develop programs that address the individual needs of students with specific challenges
- Make daily determinations for facility maintenance needs, notify management and engage the services of qualified professionals to take corrective actions and fill those needs
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills for conflict resolution
- Ability to attend extensive on-the-job training
- Valid driver’s license
- Experience working with adolescents and young adults
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
Be sure to remember that writing a solid residential advisor job description that entices the best talent to apply is only the first step in finding the perfect candidate. You must also get your post seen by the right people, which means getting it onto the right websites.
Job boards, social media networks, your own company website and internal email referrals are all great ways to get your job in front of great talent. Job boards are often considered the best posting location, but the process of filling out the information repeatedly at different sites can be tedious and time consuming. Instead, post jobs for free to hundreds of boards at once with MightyRecruiter.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter