When you’re looking to hire a new person for your company, your search begins with an effective job posting description that accurately paints a picture of the position. This clear description can help the people who are most qualified to take on the tasks and responsibilities of the job be ready to take the next step and apply. Your goal is to avoid attracting individuals who may not have the right experience or skills to take part in your job search. When you have a good working list of the top candidates who may be considered, you can pick and choose the person who would make the best contribution. One way to help you generate ideas for an effective posting is to review the Restaurant General Manager job description sample below, which has been written for inspiration to hiring managers and business owners like you.
Restaurant General Manager Job Summary
As a general manager for a restaurant, you are the head of a dining establishment. You will provide inspiring leadership to a team of workers that can motivate them to work harder and more effectively. You will work with your team to develop strategies that reduce costs and increase sales within the company. You will ensure that patrons have a positive experience when dining in the restaurant.
Restaurant General Manager Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Create a comprehensive business plan for the restaurant that considers the market, local competitors, sales revenue and expenses.
- Prepare an accurate portrayal of the finances of the restaurant, including bank accounts, spending, check pricing goals and food costs.
- Develop strategies to entice customers, including marketing plans, advertising campaigns, community outreach programs and research.
- Analyze the restaurant budget with personnel to find and price inventory, reduce expenses, review current pricing and adjust purchasing strategies if needed.
- Control operations by developing effective policies, creating high standards and working to make adjustments when appropriate.
- Ensure an outstanding dining experience by regulating presentation, taste, service and atmosphere for all guests; develop ways to cultivate a regular customer pool.
- Supervise a team of employees; work to create a cohesive unit of people who effectively communicate; create a hiring process for key staff that ensures qualified people are selected, trained and retained through top recruiting practices; consider actions of employees in various situations that deem rewarding or disciplinary action.
- Follow all appropriate health code and local jurisdiction food handling requirements, maintain food safety certifications, and model exemplary food health safety practices to employees.
- Create a professional atmosphere that sustains top employee safety standards and provides guidelines to personnel to eliminate hazards and dangers in the workplace.
- Look for new and innovative solutions to problems in the restaurant industry; use technology and social media to develop new ways to engage with customers; think; beyond what has already been done to create an even more productive establishment.
- Lead the restaurant to achieve new and greater goals in order to stand above the competition within the industry.
Restaurant General Manager Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5-10 years experience in a restaurant management position
- Experience in a high volume setting
- Knowledge about driving sales and meeting financial goals
- Results driven individual with demonstrated record of prior success
- Excellent interpersonal skills with customers and employees
Established in 2001, Riverside Café has been a leader in the casual dining experience in Atlanta from the beginning. Since the conception of our dining establishment, we have continued to be on the forefront of the best practices of the restaurant industry. We strive for fresh, locally sourced produce and environmentally responsible waste practices. We aim to hire the top talent in the culinary and service field. Our customers have an expectation of a flawless and tasteful dining experience when they come into our business.
Writing a Job Description Best Practices
- If you already have an idea of the things you want to include in your Restaurant General Manager job description sample, you can begin writing it as soon as possible. For others who may need some more ideas, here are some additional helpful tips:
- Do use bullets whenever possible.
- Do use strong action verbs when describing responsibilities.
- Do use real life examples of different job duties from your organization.
- Don’t post specifics about salary just yet.
- Don’t discuss negative points that may detract applicants.
The Restaurant General Manager job description sample provided could be a starting point if you’re not sure how to begin. Add your specific needs within the description provided above.
Want to use this job description?
Restaurant General Manager Job Responsibilities
Successfully hiring for any position requires attracting the right applicants. To guarantee that your restaurant general manager job description draws the jobseekers you want, you must ensure that your job responsibilities section appropriately portrays the day-to-day work of the position. Potential candidates want to have a good understanding of the responsibilities and expectations of a position before they apply.
To make this section as easy to read as possible, use 6-8 bullet points that start with an action verb that lets applicants envision themselves doing the work of the job. However, be careful to not turn this section into an intimidating laundry list. Focus on the most important duties of the job and leave minor responsibilities off. Also, keep in mind that work passion is a requirement of many jobseekers, so if there are any exciting or high priority projects the new hire will be responsible for, make sure to include them in your restaurant general manager job description.
Some examples of restaurant general manager job responsibilities are as follows:
- Hire and manage servers, bartenders, hosts and runners
- Ensure compliance with local, state and federal regulations for food handling and sanitation standards
- Manage scheduling and complete bi-weekly payroll
- Coordinate and execute private events
Restaurant General Manager Job Specifications
You might think that writing the job qualifications and skills section of your restaurant general manager job description will be the easiest part, but don’t underestimate the care that needs to go into crafting this section. It is your first opportunity to weed out both underqualified and overqualified candidates to streamline the hiring process.
The most important aspect of this component of the restaurant general manager job description is clearly dividing skills and qualifications into required and preferred. Communicating that a skill is desirable when it is actually indispensable, and vice versa, is one of the quickest ways to clog your inbox with inappropriate candidates. To avoid this, break your list of qualifications and skills into two separate bullet point lists, one for requirements, and one for non-essentials. Think through the full range of possible criteria, from years of experience to foreign language fluency and specialized software skills. Then, if possible, review your list with a hiring manager or direct supervisor prior to posting.
Below are a few examples of restaurant general manager job specifications:
- Current ServSafe Certification preferred
- 5+ years’ experience in restaurant management required
- Ability to motivate FOH and BOH team through personal leadership
- Experience at a Forbes or AAA list restaurant a plus