Setting out to write a position description that is clear enough to weed out the unqualified and attract the top talent? Make sure to focus on clarity, focus, and details. In the end, you’ll find that a little extra effort in this stage will pay off when you locate, recruit, and hire the best performers, maybe even those who aren’t actively searching for a job but stumbled across your posting. Below is a Retail Sales sample job description to get you started on your way to writing an accurate job description.
Retail Sales Job Summary
Customers count on retail salespeople to provide fast, friendly service by actively seeking them out to assess their needs and provide assistance. As a customer service salesperson, you will be tasked with helping customers locate, choose, and purchase the merchandise they are searching for in a retail environment. By encouraging customers to purchase products, you will be responsible for all sales activities, from lead generation to closing the sale. The success you produce will not only promote organizational standards, but will meet client expectations and accomplish sales goals.
Retail Sales Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Greets customers promptly and determines needs quickly
- Helps locate, suggest, and select the perfect product
- Possesses detailed knowledge of product benefits and features
- Demonstrates product uses and operation
- Answers questions about merchandise and the store
- Makes suggestions to encourage product purchases
- Provides details about merchandise specifications, maintenance, care, delivery, and warranties
- Offers financing alternatives
- Processes credit, check, and cash payments
- Provides change and receipts
- Packages or gift wraps merchandise
- Counts and balances tills and sort credit and debit slips
- Maintains sales records and place special orders
- Organizes and processes merchandise exchanges
- Processes alterations or merchandise repairs
- Identifies and monitors security issues
- Arranges and displays merchandise
- Takes inventory and requisitions new stock
Retail Sales Skills and Qualifications
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent
- Knowledge of customer service principles and processes
- Relevant product use understanding and training
- Expertise and experience in sales, retail, or customer service environments
- Business administration proficiency a plus
SaveMor Salon is a cosmetics and fragrance superstore in the Midwest, with over 100 stores in six states. SaveMor was founded in 1999 and has grown by meeting and exceeding our clients’ expectations. Our strategy is to provide options for every generation, from young teens to older women. The goal is to capture a bigger share of the market for prestige beauty products. By hiring top talent, we are able to lead the industry in expanding our retail footprint online.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter
Writing a Job Description Best Practices
- We have provided you with a good Retail Sales sample job description, but there might be instances when you don’t have an example to use. If you are wondering how to get started writing a posting in those situations, we have the solution. To help you write a position description for any job, even one that is created solely for your organization, here are a few basic best practices to make sure you get it right.
- Do include an introduction to accurately describe the role of the position in the organization.
- Don’t refer to anyone by name in the posting, such as the supervisor or manager.
- Do include employment legislation specific to your state and language indicating that your business is an equal employment opportunity employer.
- Do indicate employment terms, such as whether the position is full- or part-time, temporary or permanent status.
- Don’t use industry jargon to ensure the position description is clear.
- Do emphasize the minimum requirements the job entails to help job seekers determine if they qualify for the position.
- Do focus on the benefits of working for your company to provide candidates with many reasons to want to work for your business.
- Do use an impersonal writing style by focusing on facts, not opinions to present an unbiased, professional perspective to potential applications.
- Don’t list minor tasks that not specific to success on the job.
The Retail Sales sample job description above is a great job posting that can help you recruit not just one but many qualified applicants and give you a choice of top talent with which to fill your opening. Let a well-written position description do your work for you and weed out the unqualified or uninterested job seekers. The time you save can be reinvested in training the ideal candidate.