A crucial component of attracting top talent is writing a clearly defined position description. It may seem overwhelming at first, but if you break the posting down in sections and tackle them one at a time, you will be glad you put in the effort. A well-written job description is a tool to weed out the unqualified or uninterested candidates so you don’t have to spend hours reviewing applications from job seekers who either are not qualified for the position or didn’t understand what the job entails. To help you get started, we have included a Retail Store Manager sample job description below.
Retail Store Manager Job Summary
For success in the role as a retail manager, you’ll need excellent commercial and people skills. Your role is to run a store successfully. Working on the shop floor, you are in constant contact with your customers and staff. You will ensure your staff provides great customer service and handling the financial side of the store and people management. You are responsible for the day-to-day and long-term operations and financial success of the store.
Retail Store Manager Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Recruits, oversees, trains, and reviews staff
- Manages financial and statistical records, including budgets
- Markets and promotes the organization
- Handles customer complaints and inquiries
- Supervises stock control and pricing policies
- Maximizes profitability to meet sales goals and targets
- Ensures compliance with safety and health regulations
- Arranges promotional displays and materials
Retail Store Manager Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Commerce, Accounting, or related field
- 5+ years’ experience retails sales with proven track record
- 5+ years’ successful experience in retail store management
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
- Strong customer management and leadership skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and accounting software programs
- Ability to operate POS systems
- Solid understanding of mathematics and reading comprehension skills
- Prior service hiring, training, managing, and retaining team members
As a multi-million-dollar international trend setter in the fashion industry, Angel Industries works with new and innovative designers who are setting the stage with fashion-forward clothing for children, women, and men of all ages. Our success is a result of the top talent we employ along with our high-quality products and our multi-channel marketing strategies. As we grow, we are always searching for amazing individuals to join our team to ensure our future and continued success. We share a passion with our team for creating a work-life balance, truly helping people, and being rewarded for our performance.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter
Writing a Job Description Best Practices
- This is a good Retail Store Manager sample job description, but you may be wondering what to do when you don’t have a template for guidance. In those instances, it’s best to follow some fundamental best practices to create an accurate posting. Here are a few basic do’s and don’ts to help ensure you write a posting that is accurate and can save from having to review hundreds of resumes from unqualified job seekers.
- Do provide specific details to spell out the requirements of the role without describing how to do the job.
- Don’t use technical jargon or vague, general wording even if the meaning is well-known in the industry.
- Do allow for flexibility for supervisors to assign additional duties as needed.
- Do incorporate accurate adjectives to describe the work environment or pace of work.
- Don’t use terms, recommendations, or opinions that may be subject to varying interpretations or discrimination claims.
- Do use a friendly style when writing the position description to emphasize your corporate culture and mission.
- Do focus solely on job expectations and outcomes, and how the job is handled successfully by the individual in the role.
- Do have your team review the posting to ensure accurate reflection of the needs and requirements for the role.
- Don’t forget to separate essential versus non-essential functions to comply with the regulations set Americans with Disabilities Acts.
The Retail Store Manager sample job description above is intended to provide an example of a job posting that will not only attract the best candidates but provide reasons for them to want to work for your company and send in their resume, even if they aren’t currently looking for a new career. Taking the time to focus on accuracy and clarity will pay off in the end; you’ll find a wider applicant pool of top talent to choose from to fill your position.