RN case managers are nurses who use clinical quality measures to influence positive patient health outcomes. Some typical tasks may include training staff, developing goals to improve efficiency, evaluating treatment plans and working with practice partners to provide patient-centered care.
Registered nurses who work as case managers typically have particular qualities that help them be successful, and it is important to include them in your RN case manager job description. Case managers must pay close attention to detail and have good analytical skills. They must also stay up to date with advances in healthcare technology.
Because they work with a variety of people on a daily basis, RN case managers should be able to communicate effectively, have good interpersonal skills and be able to lead staff members. Consult the following RN case manager job description to get an idea of how to include key elements into your posting.
RN Case Manager Job Summary
Do you want to use your nursing degree in a way that positively influences overall patient outcomes? Are you looking to make a difference in the lives of patients? In this role as RN case manager, you will be an integral part of patients’ care and the go-to person in their care delivery programs. You will use your skills and knowledge to manage and coordinate patient care and complex medical needs. You will receive a mileage stipend, a great paid vacation package and a competitive salary plus additional compensation. Benefits for full time include healthcare, vision, dental, disability and a 401k.
- Work closely with interdisciplinary care team and technology to identify high-risk, complex patient cases; manage care, including referral management, care planning, post-discharge planning and coordinating community-based and transitional care
- Conduct individualized clinical evaluations of patients, their health needs and concerns; develop personalized action plans, provide education and issue referrals for care management programs; monitor patients’ progress in meeting established goals and modify care plans accordingly
- Use evidence-based, comprehensive care plans to manage patients
- Develop a cohesive and strong team-oriented relationship with physicians, nurses and other healthcare professionals; evaluate and report on patient health outcomes and work in partnership with interdisciplinary healthcare team to facilitate the best in patient care
- Direct discharge planning process in support of treatment adherence and medication compliance; assist with transitions for patients discharged from an in-patient hospital to a skilled nursing facility
- Guide, intervene and advocate on behalf of patients, their caregivers and/or families in regards to navigating and comprehending the healthcare system; coordinate resources in the community to ease transitionf
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Associate’s degree
- Active and unrestricted registered nurse license
- Minimum of three years of clinical experience in case management position
- Bachelor’s degree
- Certified case manager
- Strong knowledge of clinical assessment skills and experience with chronic disease management
While writing a strong RN case manager job description is a good start to finding the perfect employee, there is more you will need to do. Advertising the job opening is important for ensuring the right candidates see it. You can place it on your website and ask others to spread the word. Taking advantage of the multiple social network sites available is also smart, as it costs next to nothing and can reach a lot of people.
Many jobseekers also go to online job boards to see available openings. There are hundreds of job boards, which takes a lot of time if you want to post on each individual one. A better idea is to use MightyRecruiter, which will post to free job boards for you.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter