RN case managers are nurses who use clinical quality measures to influence positive patient health outcomes. Some typical tasks may include training staff, developing goals to improve efficiency, evaluating treatment plans and working with practice partners to provide patient-centered care.
Registered nurses who work as case managers typically have particular qualities that help them be successful, and it is important to include them in your RN case manager job description. Case managers must pay close attention to detail and have good analytical skills. They must also stay up to date with advances in healthcare technology.
Because they work with a variety of people on a daily basis, RN case managers should be able to communicate effectively, have good interpersonal skills and be able to lead staff members. Consult the following RN case manager job description to get an idea of how to include key elements into your posting.
RN Case Manager Job Summary
Do you want to use your nursing degree in a way that positively influences overall patient outcomes? Are you looking to make a difference in the lives of patients? In this role as RN case manager, you will be an integral part of patients’ care and the go-to person in their care delivery programs. You will use your skills and knowledge to manage and coordinate patient care and complex medical needs. You will receive a mileage stipend, a great paid vacation package and a competitive salary plus additional compensation. Benefits for full time include healthcare, vision, dental, disability and a 401k.
- Work closely with interdisciplinary care team and technology to identify high-risk, complex patient cases; manage care, including referral management, care planning, post-discharge planning and coordinating community-based and transitional care
- Conduct individualized clinical evaluations of patients, their health needs and concerns; develop personalized action plans, provide education and issue referrals for care management programs; monitor patients’ progress in meeting established goals and modify care plans accordingly
- Use evidence-based, comprehensive care plans to manage patients
- Develop a cohesive and strong team-oriented relationship with physicians, nurses and other healthcare professionals; evaluate and report on patient health outcomes and work in partnership with interdisciplinary healthcare team to facilitate the best in patient care
- Direct discharge planning process in support of treatment adherence and medication compliance; assist with transitions for patients discharged from an in-patient hospital to a skilled nursing facility
- Guide, intervene and advocate on behalf of patients, their caregivers and/or families in regards to navigating and comprehending the healthcare system; coordinate resources in the community to ease transitionf
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Associate’s degree
- Active and unrestricted registered nurse license
- Minimum of three years of clinical experience in case management position
- Bachelor’s degree
- Certified case manager
- Strong knowledge of clinical assessment skills and experience with chronic disease management
RN Case Manager Job Responsibilities
Attracting the right candidates for a highly complex job such as an RN case manager can be a lengthy, exhausting process. Writing a good job responsibilities section takes a good deal of time and effort out of the recruiting process and can turn your job description from a passive listing into an active tool in candidate selection and screening. The best candidates could pass you by because of an ineffective, poorly written list of duties. Avoid this by approaching your RN case manager job description with a different mentality and rethinking what you choose to include.
While it should be the most substantive part, you don’t need to dump every last detail into this section. Think of this part of your RN case manager job description as the Cliff’s Notes, rather than the full novel. Cover the pertinent points in 6-8 bullets, just enough to get the point across with anything relevant and interesting. You can make those points even more interesting by writing them using action-oriented language, which involves beginning each sentence with an active verb that creates a more involved, vital portrait of the jobseeker’s involvement in daily operations.
Review our sample RN case manager job responsibilities:
- Conduct patient intake assessments, including detailed histories
- Liaise with physicians and specialists on accurate diagnosis
- Prepare, implement and monitor treatment plan
- Continuously track patient progress and adjust as needed
- Provide referrals for external mental and physical health services
RN Case Manager Job Specifications
It only takes 5-6 bullet points in the job qualifications and skills section to significantly cut down on the flood of unqualified applicants. These bullet points may be brief, but they’re a vital part of your RN case manager job description. A list of job qualifications and skills encourages candidates to check themselves against the requirements and make a smart decision about whether to apply. For help in building your job criteria, talk to RNs and other practice staff to get an idea of what they’re looking for in an effective RN case manager who complements their role.
With your job requirements, you’ve also created a handy checklist you can quickly compare candidates against as your second stage of screening. That’s right, second — because your RN case manager job description already did the first stage of screening by filtering out the unqualified and discouraging them from clogging up your inbox with applications.
For an example, see our RN case manager job specifications:
- Associate’s degree in nursing required; bachelor’s degree in nursing preferred
- NCLEX-RN certified Registered Nurse; Accredited Case Manager (ACM) highly desired
- 5+ years of experience working with a small private practice
- Intimate knowledge of healthcare information systems and electronic medical records
- Demonstrated patience when educating patients and family on treatment plans