A rolling machine setter typically has to prepare equipment designed to flatten steel or plastic. Duties for this type of position can include documenting production numbers, maintaining equipment, inspecting finished pieces and reading blueprints.
While understanding the day-to-day responsibilities of a rolling machine setter can help you write an informative description, you need to include important skills in order to really find a promising candidate. Your rolling machine setter job description should include physical strength, stamina and dexterity. Computer skills, team work and communication can be very important for this role.
If you really want to find great employees for your company, you need to know exactly what elements to include in your posting for an open position. Look over the following rolling machine setter job description for a little insight.
Rolling Machine Setter Job Summary
Do you enjoy working with your hands? Are you excited to put your mechanical skills to good use? If you want a job that kicks boring to the curb and provides varied responsibilities in a team environment, then you may want to join our hardworking team as rolling machine setter. You have the chance to work closely with skilled rolling machine operators and tenders to complete projects and meet product specifications. Enhance your analytical skills by reading blueprints to know how to set up your equipment each day, and learn how to work with various materials as you set them into machines, sometimes with hoists. Challenge yourself, solve problems and work with your hands as our new teammate.
- Adjust the setup of machines at the start of each shift, or whenever changing projects, to ensure the products will have the right thickness and shape without defects
- Determine setup specifications, product dimensions, installation procedures and work sequences by reviewing mill schedule and rolling orders daily
- Read the blueprints to determine the specifications of the current project in order to pick out the best raw materials based on size and any other important characteristics
- Feed sheets or rods of plastic or metal through the rolling machine to aid the operator in the flattening of the materials
- Use hand tools to install special equipment, such as guards, cooling equipment, gears and guides, onto the rolling machines as needed
- Inspect materials as they come out of the rolling machine to make sure the products meet the specifications on the blueprint
- Assist operators and tenders in the inspection and maintenance of the equipment to keep everything running smoothly and efficiently
- Keep a record of the materials used every day for an accurate inventory
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Physical endurance required for repetitive movements
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to make quick decisions
- Good hand and arm dexterity
- Good time management skills
- Familiarity with a variety of rolling machines, such as cluster rolling mills, roughing mills and tandem rolling mills
Rolling Machine Setter Job Responsibilities
When writing the rolling machine setter job description, expect to spend a good amount of time working on the job responsibilities section, which should be the weightiest part. This section is where job applicants learn the details about daily tasks. To ensure that candidates are not confused about requirements, use clear and concise language to describe the duties.
This section helps separate the qualified applicants from the unqualified to reduce the number of applications received, which allows you more time to focus on the solid candidates. As mentioned before, bullet points beginning with strong action verbs convey information better than longwinded, full sentences and paragraphs. Use at least six, but no more than eight, bullet points in the rolling machine setter job description. Candidates can quickly skim and scan through the list to check if they possess the necessary skills that the position calls for.
Here are some examples of rolling machine setter job responsibilities:
- Set up or operate machines that roll plastic or steel
- Make needed adjustments to temper, flatten or reduce the thickness of materials
- Monitor machines for unusual vibrations or sounds
- Insert materials into machines, either manually or using a hoist
- Adjust machine settings for cycle times, temperature and feed and speed rates
- Remove finished products, smooth imperfections and rough edges and test products by comparing to specifications
Rolling Machine Setter Job Specifications
The job qualifications and skills section of the rolling machine setter job description features the minimum requirements of the position. Meet with hiring managers and senior leaders to cover which specifications candidates need. This section usually includes information such as the education level the candidate should have, knowledge of certain materials and technologies, relevant coursework and needed physical abilities to handle the job.
The focus should be on emphasizing the most important requirements, but if there are several to list, it is best to separate between the mandatory and the ideal, with the latter showing attributes that are nice to have, but not necessary. In the rolling machine setter job description, show the required list first, followed by the preferred list. Make sure to use clear and concise language to limit possible confusion as applicants decide whether they meet the requirements demanded for the role.
Some sample rolling machine setter job specifications follow below:
- High school diploma, equivalency or comparable education, with coursework in computer programming or other vocational technology
- Possess good math background, preferably through courses in basic statistics, algebra, geometry and trigonometry
- Working knowledge of metals and plastics properties
- Good manual dexterity and familiarity with technology, such as computers, programmable devices and robots
- Comfortable using mechanical skills and working with machines
- Able to perform repetitive work, stand for lengthy time periods and load bulky and heavy materials and parts into machines