Rotary drill operators operate or set up drills needed to remove underground gas and oil or core samples for testing during oil and gas exploration. They measure work site dimensions, monitor pressure gauges and move levers and throttles to control rotary table speed. They also regulate tool pressure at the bottoms of boreholes.
In the skills portion of your rotary drill operator job description, emphasize that the candidate should be comfortable working outdoors, be able to see details at close range and have good manual dexterity. A high school diploma and work experience are preferred.
Rotary drill operators should have strong attention to detail and be depended upon to fulfill work obligations. They should learn information quickly and work well with others since they will provide training to crews. Read the rotary drill operator job description below for more information on what you should include in your own job listing.
Rotary Drill Operator Job Summary
Are you looking to start a career in the oil and gas industry? Do you like to work with tools and machines in an outdoor environment? We currently have an opening for a rotary drill operator, where you will have a variety of crucial duties that help in our oil and gas exploration activities. You’ll operate our drilling equipment out on the front lines and train your crews to use and control our machines. You’ll also receive on-the-job training from the best in the business. Join our team and get rewarded with advancement opportunities and competitive pay rates as well as benefits.
- Train construction or extraction crews on proper procedures to ensure drills are used safely and effectively
- Install and operate drilling equipment, including moving throttles and levers to control the speed of rotary tables, observing the pressure gauge and regulating tool pressure at the bottoms of boreholes
- Determine depths of boreholes by counting sections of drill rod
- Control gasoline, diesel, electric or steam draw works by pushing brake pedals and levers to lower and raise casings and drill pipes on and out of wells
- Connect drill pipe sections by using hand tools and powered tongs and wrenches
- Adjust and maintain machinery for proper performance, including changing drill bits; repairing or replacing defective parts; and cleaning and oiling pulleys, cables and blocks
- Begin and examine slush pump operation for consistency and circulation of drilling fluid or mud in wells
- Keep records of drilled footage, nature and location of penetrated strata, tools and materials used, services rendered, and amount of time required to complete each task
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Work outdoors under various weather conditions
- Install and operate drilling and construction equipment
- Learn various job-related software programs
- Good control precision, manual dexterity and arm-hand steadiness
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Previous work experience
It is imperative to create a rotary drill operator job description that persuades the most appropriate candidate. An engaging job posting will lure the best possible hires and can be easily found across various media platforms. Promote it through all available resources to reach out to as many people as possible.
Besides various online job boards, share your job posting on your organization’s website, social networks and internal outlets, including the intranet and employee referral programs. Posting to individual job boards is a monotonous and time-consuming task, so be sure to take advantage of free job postings with MightyRecruiter to instantly reach hundreds of job boards and make your search that much easier.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter