Safety managers are tasked with heading up the health and safety aspects of any business. It is common for these professionals to work in industrial environments where there is daily danger of injury, but it is possible for them to work in any field. They oversee operations to identify unsafe aspects, make changes and develop new safety policies. They also ensure a business complies with mandated safety policies.
First and foremost, your safety manager job description should include the requirement that candidates are analytical with problem-solving skills and a good attention to small details. All of these attributes make it possible for them to accomplish the responsibilities of a safety manager effectively.
Additionally, it is vital that these professionals have the communication skills to relay safety information and improvements to others. Learn more about how to best create your job description from the following safety manager job description template.
Safety Manager Job Summary
If you are an organized leader with analytical and problem-solving skills, we are looking for you to become our new safety manager. If you are familiar with the manufacturing process and have industrial management and leadership experience, you are a perfect fit to join our team. You will oversee all manufacturing process to ensure no dangerous procedures are being taken and make the adjustments necessary to ensure all machine operators are safe at all times. Put your research skills to good use and enter a fulfilling career making the lives of our employees safer by becoming our new safety manager.
- Oversee all operations, watching for practices and processes that violate safety policies or create a dangerous situation, taking measures necessary to create a safe working environment
- Analyze all standard procedures, creating reports based on their safety and areas that need improvement
- Make recommendations to management, executives and individual employees for ways to improve safety and efficiency
- Collaborate with other safety managers to ensure the best procedures are adhered to at all times and all employees are following safety policies properly
- Research safety policies that are mandated by state and federal government, as well as optional policies adopted by other businesses, analyzing whether they would be beneficial to implement in our business
- Inspect machinery and facilities on a daily basis to ensure they are in proper working order and no safety hazards are endangering any employees
- Review safety reports from other managers, analyzing which changes will be the most beneficial and how improvements can be made
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Minimum five years of working experience in manufacturing
- Associate degree in business or related field
- Two years in management or leadership
- Bachelor degree or higher in a related field
Want to use this job description?
Safety Manager Job Responsibilities
Many job candidates consider the tasks required of an open position before applying for a job. As an employer, it’s your responsibility to let candidates know exactly what you will expect of them on a day-to-day basis by carefully outlining tasks in the responsibilities section of your safety manager job description.
When writing this section of your safety manager job description, stick to 6-8 bullet points so you provide enough information without overwhelming those who want to apply for the job. Each bullet point you include should focus on one key responsibility of the job and begin with a strong action verb. This way, candidates are able to envision exactly what they will be doing and managing if they land the job.
You may want to include some of these safety manager job responsibilities in your job description:
- Develop new safety plans and execute them according to legal and organizational guidelines
- Review and enforce policies that create a safe workplace environment for employees and clients
- Evaluate current procedures and policies in addition to workplace facilities to identify risks and adherence to legal requirements
- Prepare and conduct trainings for health and safety matters to prevent accidents and improve workplace productivity
Safety Manager Job Specifications
Upon first glance, the job skills and qualifications for your safety manager job description may seem quick and easy to write, but this doesn’t mean you should overlook its importance. The specifications of your job description help candidates understand exactly what skills they should have for the open position so they don’t apply for a job they are not qualified for.
Not only is a carefully crafted list of specifications important for candidates, but it is also important for you as the hiring manager. If the specifications of your safety manager job description aren’t clear, you will spend an undue amount of time going over resumes from candidates who don’t qualify for the open position. Before you begin the hiring process, you should also make sure anyone involved knows what your required and preferred qualifications are for the open job.
These safety manager job specifications are a good example of the kinds of qualifications that may fit in your job description:
- At least three years of experience as a safety manager within a corporate setting
- Extensive knowledge of corporate risk assessment and proper safety practices
- A bachelor’s degree in safety management or a degree in a related field
- Current and valid certification in occupational safety and health