Sales account managers are the management team responsible for overseeing individual sales representatives in a business. They are typically the lowest management staff, with higher professionals managing the entire account manager team. These professionals oversee sales performances, analyze sales numbers and put sales strategies into practice to make improvements.
At the core of the sales account manager position are communication and leadership skills. They must be comfortable managing others, so your sales account manager job description should reflect this. It is also important that they have a firm understanding of sales and the responsibilities of sales representatives.
There are secondary required skills that include analysis, critical thinking, decision making and organization. Because account managers occasionally will interact with clients, it is necessary for them to have sales and negotiation abilities. Learn what the best way to implement these skills is with the following example sales account manager job description.
Sales Account Manager Job Summary
Are you a natural leader with experience in the sales field? Do you have an analytical mind when it comes to reviewing numbers and finding ways to improve? We are seeking a sales account manager with all these attributes. You are a talented sales professional who can help others succeed in your area of expertise. As our newest sales account manager, you will join our management team and oversee the performance of the sales representatives, making sure they are successfully interacting with clients and closing sales consistently. Join our dynamic team of sales and management professionals and help make a difference in the way our company impacts your community.
- Manage several sales accounts and oversee the associated sales representatives to ensure all client needs are met quickly and professionally
- Review sales numbers for your assigned accounts, identifying areas in need of improvement, speaking with sales representatives to confirm issues, working together to create a solution and developing new strategies to improve sales numbers
- Interact with clients when requested, ensuring they are satisfied and all issues are resolved quickly and efficiently
- Create sales reports for all your assigned accounts to be presented to the director of sales, incorporating all aspects of the sales representatives’ performance and sales numbers
- Direct sales representatives to prospective new clients and give instruction for how to best build a relationship with them
- Take part in planned training programs and aid sales representatives in developing the sales techniques, skills and knowledge necessary for success
- Complete administrative duties, filling out forms, creating reports and entering information into spreadsheets
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Associate degree in sales, business management or related field
- Five years working in sales or customer service
- Bachelor degree in business management
- Two years in a management position
Sales Account Manager Job Responsibilities
An outstanding sales account manager can boost your company’s profits significantly, and the amount of effort you put into the search for the right candidate to fill this position should reflect that. One of the most critical steps in finding the perfect sales account manager is crafting the perfect sales account manager job description, and that starts with crafting the perfect job responsibilities section.
Since it typically comprises the heftiest portion of your sales account manager job description, concentrate on making this section comprehensive, relevant and sufficiently detailed, while at the same time being careful not to overstate yourself or let the text run too long. A few relatively compact but thorough bullet points—probably no more than five or six in total—that get right to the point will serve you well in this section.
These samples of sales account manager job responsibilities may spur some thoughts that help kick-start your efforts to craft your own:
- Spearhead efforts to drive sales and secure new clients by developing shrewd sales strategies based on in-depth market research and analysis
- Increase department sales performance through phone sales and follow-up calls
- Strengthen key client relationships by establishing and maintaining close communications aimed at identifying and responding to clients’ needs as they evolve
- Bolster the company’s overall market presence and positioning by representing the company at national and regional conferences and trade shows
Sales Account Manager Job Specifications
In a nutshell, the job qualifications and skills section of your sales account manager job description is your one and only clear-cut opening to eliminate ill-equipped jobseekers from your applicant pool. Be candid in identifying the minimum qualifications for the position here in order to discourage those who do not measure up to your company’s standards from applying.
With a well-written job qualifications and skills section, you won’t have to wade through a river of resumes from unqualified jobseekers to find your ideal new hire. In fact, you can simplify your task even further by including some optional but preferable qualifications in addition to listing the indispensable qualifications for the position in this section. As in the job responsibilities section, use bullet points here to keep your sales account manager job description from getting unwieldy.
These example bullet points may help feed the fires of inspiration as you begin to formulate your own sales account manager job specifications:
- Current driver’s license and a spotless driving record
- Bachelor’s degree in economics or business or, alternatively, at least two years of full-time sales experience
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively within the region (up to 60% of the time) to support business operations, including some overnight travel
- Polished, professional attitude and appearance and strong rapport-building skills
- Proficiency using basic word processing, spreadsheet and database software (experience using customer relationship management database systems preferred)