Sales development representatives spend nearly all of their time working directly with customers to generate business and build a company’s brand. Using strategies such as cold calling, these professionals generate new leads and then pursue opportunities create new business. Responsibilities include giving customers information about products and their function and pricing. Relationship development is imperative and requires follow up and regular contact with existing clients.
When you begin writing your sales development representative job description, encourage applicants to have an understanding of effective customer service practices. They also need to demonstrate interpersonal skills and have a superior measure of self-confidence when presenting product information and providing demonstrations.
Candidates should have the physical stamina to be on their feet for long periods of time and carry sample products when necessary. Our professional sales development representative job description can give you additional ideas of the type of information you could include.
Sales Development Representative Job Summary
Do you love meeting new people? Are you a confident and enthusiastic public speaker? If so, then a job as a sales development representative may be just the position for you. Your skillset will be invaluable as you give product demonstrations, answer questions about product use and pricing, help customers make product selections and follow up to guarantee optimal satisfaction. You will also be putting together sales contracts and negotiating terms with interested buyers. Tapping into your creativity and knowledge of successful marketing and sales tactics, you will collaborate with other professionals to develop strategies that will combine competitive strengths with integrity to further business initiatives. With a commitment to learning about each product and providing unparalleled customer service, you will experience unprecedented opportunity for professional growth.
- Present product education to customers after first identifying a need and establishing why the product is a viable solution; demonstrate how a product works and provide information about pricing and availability
- Develop professional, loyal and friendly relationships with all clients and follow up regularly to identify needs, take orders and facilitate communication
- Negotiate sales contracts that benefit both the customer and the company and are compliant with outlined policies and codes of conduct
- Manage customer inquiries and prepare bids to present to them for verification that all orders will be processed correctly
- Perform credit checks on potential business prospects to determine their dependability and financial stability before pursuing business ventures
- Monitor market conditions, economic volatility and competition development, as well as collaborate with other professionals to identify new strategies for sales and business development
- Document all activities and oversee general administrative duties including preparing sales budgets and filing expense reports to the appropriate parties
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent degree
- Profound understanding of customer service
- Ability to communicate effectively and present confidently
- Willingness to learn
- Bachelor’s degree in sales management or related field
A refined sales development representative job description will make a significant difference in how effectively you are able to market to prospective candidates. Coupled with the right information-sharing strategies, you are well on your way to attracting the attention of qualified applicants.
For direct networking opportunities, you could attend a job fair or advertise at a trade show. Other methods include posting a link on your company website, using referral programs and advertising via social media platforms. Posting to online job boards is an excellent way to make your job opening visible to hundreds of interested people. MightyRecruiter is a great place to start and post jobs for free.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter