Sales development representatives spend nearly all of their time working directly with customers to generate business and build a company’s brand. Using strategies such as cold calling, these professionals generate new leads and then pursue opportunities create new business. Responsibilities include giving customers information about products and their function and pricing. Relationship development is imperative and requires follow up and regular contact with existing clients.
When you begin writing your sales development representative job description, encourage applicants to have an understanding of effective customer service practices. They also need to demonstrate interpersonal skills and have a superior measure of self-confidence when presenting product information and providing demonstrations.
Candidates should have the physical stamina to be on their feet for long periods of time and carry sample products when necessary. Our professional sales development representative job description can give you additional ideas of the type of information you could include.
Sales Development Representative Job Summary
Do you love meeting new people? Are you a confident and enthusiastic public speaker? If so, then a job as a sales development representative may be just the position for you. Your skillset will be invaluable as you give product demonstrations, answer questions about product use and pricing, help customers make product selections and follow up to guarantee optimal satisfaction. You will also be putting together sales contracts and negotiating terms with interested buyers. Tapping into your creativity and knowledge of successful marketing and sales tactics, you will collaborate with other professionals to develop strategies that will combine competitive strengths with integrity to further business initiatives. With a commitment to learning about each product and providing unparalleled customer service, you will experience unprecedented opportunity for professional growth.
- Present product education to customers after first identifying a need and establishing why the product is a viable solution; demonstrate how a product works and provide information about pricing and availability
- Develop professional, loyal and friendly relationships with all clients and follow up regularly to identify needs, take orders and facilitate communication
- Negotiate sales contracts that benefit both the customer and the company and are compliant with outlined policies and codes of conduct
- Manage customer inquiries and prepare bids to present to them for verification that all orders will be processed correctly
- Perform credit checks on potential business prospects to determine their dependability and financial stability before pursuing business ventures
- Monitor market conditions, economic volatility and competition development, as well as collaborate with other professionals to identify new strategies for sales and business development
- Document all activities and oversee general administrative duties including preparing sales budgets and filing expense reports to the appropriate parties
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent degree
- Profound understanding of customer service
- Ability to communicate effectively and present confidently
- Willingness to learn
- Bachelor’s degree in sales management or related field
Want to use this job description?
Sales Development Representative Job Responsibilities
Sales development representatives play unique parts involving outreach and the cultivation of relationships with new clients and customers. The list of responsibilities in a sales development representative job description should sum up the most distinctive elements of this role. You are likely to receive resumes from jobseekers with a wide variety of sales experience, but a development representative requires an even more proactive outlook and specialized skill set than a standard sales agent.
Brainstorm the most characteristic tasks for an open position and include these in a bullet-pointed list in your description. Prioritize the most important or regular tasks and then move on to more general goals or less frequent duties. You do not need to include the most general responsibilities of an employee in this position, like writing emails or making phone calls. Starting each line of the job responsibilities section with an action verb can help to maintain the focus of this section of a sales development representative job description on the actions that a representative filling this role will need to perform in order to succeed.
Check out the sample sales development representative job responsibilities below:
- Research prospective clients within a market or region and perform lead scoring to rank prospects
- Introduce company, products and services to clients and customers and form new relationships
- Schedule meetings to provide and gather information and close sales
- Create email and social media marketing campaigns to drive sales
Sales Development Representative Job Specifications
A solid sales development representative job description should make the qualifications you expect from candidates as clear as the duties they will take on after getting hired. The job qualifications and skills section in your description will probably be shorter than the responsibilities for this position, but is just as important in narrowing down the number of applications and increasing the likelihood that more competitive candidates will apply.
This portion of a description should precisely target the jobseekers best suited for a sales development representative position. You might want to introduce requirements ranging from a certain degree or training in a specific area to particular abilities, past experience and skills. Start with firm requirements and move on to preferred qualifications.
If you are not sure where to set the bar or how to weigh these requirements, run your ideas by sales managers or leadership. This is the easiest way to make sure that the sales development representative job description you post can attract the right candidate for an open position.
Keep these sales development representative job specifications in mind as you prepare your description:
- High school diploma or equivalent required; bachelor’s degree in a related area preferred
- Minimum of 1-2 years of sales experience
- Familiarity with customer relationship management (CRM) software and social media promotions
- Ability to contribute to a sales team