As a recruiter, one of your most important tasks is negotiating with job candidates who make a great fit for a particular position. Getting to this point is much easier when you start off the hiring process with an excellent job description that clearly and accurately conveys the basics and nuances of the position at hand. Below, you will find a Sales Director job description sample that does just this. Each component of a successful job description, like the following example, is carefully constructed to inform potential employees with all the necessary information without flooding them with details that are irrelevant. By following along with the layout of a job description like this one, you will be well on your way to writing a call for applicants that is sharp, polished and ultimately successful.
Sales Director Job Summary
The Sales Director will be expected to design, implement and maintain national, regional and local sales strategies in order to disperse products. As the Sales Director, you will also be expected to manage the doings of the Regional Sales Managers.
Sales Director Responsibilities and Duties:
- Initialize and implement annual sales plans by both unit and gross-profit standards, and examine the trends and outcomes that emerge from these implementations.
- Initiate marketing strategies that boost unit and gross sales at the national, regional and local levels and analyze the efficacy of these strategies.
- Create sales goals by predicting appropriate sales figures for various areas and groupings, and predict sales figures for both potential products and existing products.
- Work with the Regional Sales Team to implement regional sales programs that are modeled after successful national sales programs and field sales.
- Monitor the volume of sales in accordance with the variety of products that are on the market, and ensure that retail prices are kept current in accordance with supply and demand, economic strategies, market trends and relevant competition.
- Shift retail prices up or down depending on material costs, relevant competition and other daily fluctuating market factors.
- Work with Sales Team to meet national sales goals and operation requirements.
- Motivate Sales Team members to comply with all appropriate rules and regulations and meet daily, monthly and annual sales goals.
- Hire, choose, train and assign all national Sales Team members.
- Identify positive Sales Team results and maintain these outcomes through motivation and incentive programs, and identify and resolve any negative outcomes through employee discipline, counsel and protocol changes.
- Continue ongoing educational efforts by participating in professional organizations, keeping professional certifications and memberships current, maintaining professional networks and attending relevant educational events.
- Attempt other related tasks and responsibilities pertinent to the Sales Team as necessary.
- Maintain the positive reputation and ethic within the Sales Department by complying with all company policies and procedures.
Sales Director Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Business required; MBA preferred
- 2-3 years in management-level sales position with recorded success
- Proven ability to meet sales goals
- Proficiency in negotiation, meeting customer service needs and sales planning
- Documented market knowledge
Foundational Chapters LLC is a small, but growing, manufacturer of publishing equipment and accessories that was founded in 2000. Based in Charlotte, North Carolina, we have expanded our offices to include locations in Asheville, Raleigh and Waynesville. It is our goal to meet our customer’s highest expectations by providing them with excellent quality publishing materials and outstanding service.
Writing a Job Description Best Practices
- The above Sales Director job description sample is just one of many ways to write a good call for applicants. When getting started on writing your own job description, be sure to adhere to these principles, in addition to the above example, for the best chance at success.
- Don’t list any duties or responsibilities that the employee will be asked to do infrequently, as these aren’t relevant enough for the basic job description.
- Don’t forget to indicate the job title within the job summary.
- Do make sure to include relevant keywords that will make it easy for potential employees to find your job in search engines and on online job bulletin boards.
By complying with the above guidelines, you will be setting your job description apart from the masses and doing your best to ensure that only qualified and genuinely interested applicants will be submitting their applications. This will be a great help when it comes time to sift through applications and move on to the interview process.
Sales Director Job Responsibilities
When you’re ready to take your sales to the next level, you need top strategic leaders capable of driving your company’s mission and vision while delivering results. Without a qualified person in your sales director role, your business may stagnate — but so can your hiring process if you’re using a poorly written sales director job description. Don’t miss out on the hire you need by posting a boring job responsibilities section that offers nothing to appeal to the candidate. Transform this crucial section using action-oriented writing and empower your recruitment.
Active verbs draw readers into the writing and make them feel directly involved. Remember that sales performers, particularly leaders, are often highly competitive and driven. You need to use language that appeals to that drive and energizes their urge to excel. Don’t lose them with lengthy, overwritten explanations. While this section of your sales director job description should be the most substantial, condense it down to 6-8 bullets covering key points, ignoring the daily minutiae candidates can infer.
Here’s an example of powerful sales director job responsibilities:
- Shape and execute national and regional sales strategies targeting B2B customers of one of the largest consumer goods distributors in the country
- Establish quotas and quarterly budgets; guide sales managers and account executives on attaining targets
- Monitor market conditions and competitor activity
- Present insights on business and market trends to the C-suite executive team
- Coach, train and mentor personnel
Sales Director Job Specifications
For every promising candidate, you might get dozens who never should have applied in the first place. Sorting the wheat from the chaff can significantly slow your screening process, and in the time it takes you to extricate qualified candidates from the mass of unsuitable applicants, your perfect hire might just slip away. Speed up your applicant screening by adding a job qualifications and skills section to your sales director job description, and cut down time to find the candidates you want.
How does this work? By including 5-6 key criteria for the job, you give jobseekers a clear idea of the requirements to qualify. With this list readily available as part of your sales director job description, many potential applicants will screen themselves out. This significantly cuts down on the volume of resumes hitting your inbox and leaves you with a tool to help you handle the applications left. Keep your job specifications handy as a checklist as you’re reviewing resumes to quickly winnow down your talent pool.
Reference this sample of sales director job specifications:
- 10+ years of senior sales management experience with clear career progression
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, marketing or economics
- Expertise executing national sales strategies at the regional level
- Experience with technology sales, including Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) and device sales
- Strong talents as a mentor and coach able to improve team morale and productivity