In order to successfully market a product or service, you need people who are good with people. Furthermore, you want a sales staff that knows your product. As technology advances, more innovators are seeking business experience as a way to further their careers. When you provide your customers with technical guidance, you establish credibility and long-term trust. If you want to find the right talent, then use the following sales engineer job description sample as a template for your career site and external job boards.
Sales Engineer Job Summary
We’re looking for a technical professional who can drive, manage and present our product line. We manufacture transmission and engine components for commercial farming equipment. As a sales engineer, you will liaise between customers and product development. You will serve as an internal and external technical consultant through each step in the sales cycle.
Sales Engineer Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Expand existing client base through networking and lead development.
- Foster purposeful relationships with all existing and future clients.
- Collaborate with marketing to identify customer needs and profile.
- Provide technical guidance to production staff and customers with a focus on transmission, engine and mechanical processes.
- Assist R&D with new lines and existing improvements.
- Liaise between production and sales to resolve customer complaints and product issues.
- Develop sales reports and product descriptions.
- Collaborate with engineering to perform cost estimation using design plans and customer specs.
- Perform cost-benefit analysis on existing equipment, and communicate results to finance.
- Process new orders.
- Train non-engineering sales staff on all federal, state and local regulations.
- Ensure all equipment and products remain compliant with company directive and government laws.
- Maintain technical knowledge through continued education, industry publications and professional networking.
- Establish SOP and recommend course of action.
Sales Engineer Job Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree required. The ideal candidate will have an engineering foundation with an advanced degree in business management.
- Minimum 4 years professional experience in engineering and/or business.
- Previous sales experience preferred. Customer service experience required.
- Ability to communicate technical information via phone and in person.
- Advanced problem-solving skills and the ability to quickly learn products.
- Strong negotiation, sales and presentation skills.
- Ability to learn new software.
- Domestic and international travel, approximately 30%.
Desco Manufacturing has become a leading producer of engine and transmission components for commercial farming equipment. We work with some of the most talented engineers and designers in the business, and we pride ourselves in our comprehensive approach to customer service. Our sales team is highly skilled, and we’re committed to the professional and personal growth of each employee. We’re exited to open our new Omaha office where we’ll run all of our international administrative operations.
Best Practices When Writing a Job Description
- The sales engineer job description sample above demonstrates the need for a professional who is mechanically savvy and good with people. Be clear about how much technical skill you require, and indicate any professional designations that would make a candidate more competitive. In general, you want to give applicants a clear picture of what to expect. Consider the follow do’s and don’ts as you write your description.
- Do be specific about technology. If you work with chemicals, then cater to those with a chemical engineering background. Likewise, you may want mechanical experience if you produce machinery or equipment. In any case, be clear about what type e of knowledge you’re looking for.
- Do detail a typical workday. Get your team members involved, especially when it comes to writing the job duties section. Consult the production team, the sales staff and every department that the position will work with.
- Don’t add fluff. Engineers look to detail, and business people look to your approach. Use concise phrases, and avoid trivial information.
- Don’t offer a salary if doing so conflicts with company policy.
- Do explain hierarchy. Who will the person report to? What is the department? Be sure to indicate whether or not this is a managerial role.
- Do organize your information with bullets. It’s important to provide information in a way that is easy to read. Avoid wordy paragraphs and make sure the ad looks good online and on apps.
- Do be transparent. If you need someone to cold call, say that in the job description. You want to be inviting and positive, but also candid and honest. Never omit an important job task just because it might sound unpleasant or entry-level.
Sales Engineer Job Responsibilities
Remember that the list of job responsibilities is one of the most important sections in your sales engineer job description. It should take the form of a bulleted list to ensure the information is easily accessible. One of the most common formatting standards is to use a strong action verb for the first word of every bullet point. By focusing on the daily tasks the candidate you hire will be responsible for, you can give readers a better understanding of the position.
Although this section is the meatiest portion of the description, it shouldn’t contain unnecessary details. If the sales engineer job responsibilities section is too long, it may intimidate readers, but if it is too short, they cannot gain enough information to fully understand the job. We recommend you write at least six but not more than eight bullet points.
The following example entries demonstrate what an effective responsibilities section looks like. Review them before you start writing to strengthen your own sales engineer job description.
- Gather information from clients to better understand product needs, making adjustments as necessary to maintain sales numbers
- Provide guidance to the sales team members, helping them understand client needs and developing sales strategies
- Present technical specifications to board members and the sales team
- Maintain relationships with numerous clients, resolving complaints and encouraging future business
Sales Engineer Job Specifications
When writing your job qualifications and skills section, separate the sales engineer job specifications into the mandatory and preferred qualifications. This is the best way to filter out unqualified candidates and encourage those who do meet your expectations. Mandatory requirements usually include educational or professional experiences, while preferences may take the form of behavioral qualities or skill sets. Speaking with the hiring manager before writing your sales engineer job description is a good way to ensure you fully understand which attributes are deal-breakers.
While the qualifications and skills section should be quite short, it is one of the most important sections. It can sometimes make the difference between getting applications from only the most talented candidates and receiving a flood of unqualified applications to sort through. Make sure you take the time to develop this section just like any other.
These example entries will help you understand how to effectively write this section of your sales engineer job description:
- Must have completed a bachelor’s degree program in sales engineering or a related business field
- Two years of experience in sales required, four years preferred
- Must have experience in a leadership position
- Excellent analysis, critical thinking and evaluation abilities
- Strong, professional verbal and written communication skills