Hiring a new employee for a demanding and specific position can be a daunting task, but don’t let that stop you from giving it your best shot. As a recruiter, you should know that one absolutely essential component to making a successful hiring decision is the advertising of an accurate and thorough job description. Without this key piece of the puzzle, recruiters can wind up dealing with an unsatisfying and difficult process of trying to find interested potential employees. But with a job description that goes into just enough detail about the position at hand, you are likely to attract a well-qualified and highly talented group of applicants, among which will be the ideal candidate for the job. In the following Sales Engineering Support Manager job description sample, you will see first-hand how the sections of a good job description are laid out.
Sales Engineering Support Manager Job Summary
As a Sales Engineering Support Manager, you will be responsible for the overall installation, maintenance and monitoring of day-to-day sales systems and operations. You will work with and manage a team of staff on a regular basis.
Sales Engineering Support Manager Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Achieve goals related to the human resources side of sales engineering, including but not limited to hiring, training, assigning, tracking, mentoring, monitoring and troubleshooting new sales staff.
- Communicate position goals to staff team, review their individual professional contributions on a regular basis, advise as to compensation decisions and enforce rules and regulations
- Support daily operations goals by advising as to sales engineering support information, making recommendations through strategic planning documents, filling out action plan procedures, dealing with issues of customer service standards and quality control, troubleshooting productivity issues, accomplishing auditing operations and making changes and improvements when necessary.
- Address sales engineering financial department goals by using financial forecasting tools, contributing to the annual sales report, analyzing expenses, identifying inconsistencies and troubleshooting issues.
- Install appropriate sales engineering equipment according to orders, specificities and preferences.
- Complete installation tests and grade sales engineering equipment performance.
- Update and maintain sales engineering installations by determining upgrade specifications based on current usage.
- Communicate with service staff in order to keep service contracts current, schedule preventative maintenance and deal with system breakdowns that occur.
- Keep track of engineer sales staff location, identity of technicians and the nature of the repair facilities in order to establish regular installation and service patterns.
- Engage in continuing education opportunities to keep current with breakthroughs in the field, including subscribing to professional publications, keeping up with professional networking contacts and maintaining certification and membership within professional organizations.
- Achieve related duties and responsibilities as necessary in order to support, organize and monitor the success of the sales engineering department staff and productivity.
Sales Engineering Support Manager Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field
- 2 years experience in sales engineering
- Hands-on proficiency in technical management and understanding
- Hiring experience
- General consulting skills and management proficiency
Lincoln Systems Inc has been located in Austin, Texas, since its inception in 2007. We have a staff of 45 employees who telecommute or work in-person at our two facilities within downtown Austin. We are proud to offer some of the highest client satisfaction rates in the local area, and make it our pleasure to serve our large and small client entities with unparalleled customer service.
Writing a Job Description Best Practices
- In light of the above Sales Engineering Support Manager job description sample, it should be clear that the necessary elements of a job description are fairly straightforward. But what is not said is often just as important as what is said. Keep the following in mind.
- Don’t mention salary information unless it is in accordance with your company policy to do so.
- Don’t get wordy. Instead, try to say the maximum amount by using the minimum number of words.
- Do get your potential employees going on the right foot by including a call to action that includes explicit information on how to apply for the position, along with encouragement to apply to the job by a certain deadline.
The dos and don’ts that we have listed, combined with the sample job description above, should be good guidelines when getting started on writing your own call for applicants. Remember that the most important is that the job come across clearly and directly, with no important details left unsaid.
Sales Engineering Support Manager Job Responsibilities
Writing the job responsibilities section of a sales engineering support manager job description is not easy. Not only is this section the first area that draws the attention of jobseekers, it’s also their first impression of the position and relevant duties. Getting started can be intimidating, but these tips will help simplify the process. For starters, try not to overwhelm jobseekers by including too many specifics when presenting the supervisor’s primary tasks. By all means, you should write this section in detail, but an exhaustive list of every conceivable task runs the risk of turning candidates away.
Another way to simplify this information-heavy section of your sales engineering support manager job description is to use a bulleted format to convey the details. Bullet points are a great way to condense large portions of information and will provide jobseekers with an easy-to-skim the document. To further enhance their comprehension of the job responsibilities section, keep the number of items to a minimum of six and a maximum of eight.
Take a look at these examples of sales engineering support manager job responsibilities for inspiration:
- Approve sales installations by conducting tests and evaluations
- Prepare annual budgets, schedule expenses and correct accidents or mistakes as necessary
- Prevent obsolescence by regularly conducting installation upgrades
- Regularly train sales staff on operating upgraded software and equipment as needed
Sales Engineering Support Manager Job Specifications
Considering its minimal content, some document writers often consider the qualifications and skills section to be a tacked-on addendum that you can simply copy and paste from other documents. In this case, however, being the shortest is not equivalent to being the easiest nor the least important component of the sales engineering support manager job description. If anything, this section is more important than some of the longer ones because it provides the minimum requirements to apply for the position. A subpar summary of the qualifications and skills can often spell disaster for your email inbox, as it becomes overloaded with the resumes of candidates who do not satisfy your expectations.
Open the door to more qualified contenders by speaking with your senior leadership before you sit down to write your sales engineering support manager job description. Gain an understanding of the administration’s requirements, and you will have a greater understanding of how to write the qualifications and skills, and in turn, candidates will better understand their aptness for the job.
We have provided some sales engineering support manager job specifications to give you ideas:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, preferably in a software engineering or related field
- At least 5 years’ experience in sales engineering support
- Exceptional leadership skills, including interpersonal communication and training
- Expertise in technical and development fields