Writing a great position description is a crucial component of recruiting and retaining top talent. The last thing hiring managers and recruiters have time for is weeding through mounds of resumes from unqualified applicants who miss the mark. A well-written posting enables you to sort out applicants who aren’t qualified or eager to work for your company. By taking the necessary time to write a clear and accurate posting before the applications begin flowing into your inbox will save you hours of time. Below is a Sales Executive job description sample to help you craft a good position description.
Sales Executive Job Summary
As a sales executive, you are the primary business contact for clients. You are expected to provide consistently superior customer service to clients by designating their requirements and aims within the group to ensure quality sales. The role involves face-to-face sales-based communications with customers. Growth and success are measured by your performance and capacity to meet quotas. You will be promoted based on merit, and compensation is based on your individual accomplishments. You will be required to develop a rapport with clients to support new and repeat business possibilities.
Sales Executive Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Creating and managing overall action plans to exceed quota for your territory
- Discovering new business contacts and closing the sale
- Driving new sales using the Leadership manager System
- Cultivating relationships with a wide variety of key decision makers
- Initiating and expanding on associations with high priority accounts
- Conducting face-to-faces discovery and sales meetings
- Developing proposals and delivering presentations
- Performing sales prospecting activities on a routine basis
- Researching accounts to determine which ones require maintenance
- Maintaining the Salesforce.com customer relationship management database
- Estimating costs and pricing for products and services
- Providing competitive market feedback
Sales Executive Skills and Qualifications
- 3-5 years of sales experience
- 2+ years of recent consumer-based experience
- Proven successful sales background
- Ability to connect with customers and gain trust quickly
- Financial sales education, trading services, and related product knowledge
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in MS Office suite
- Salesforce.com experience preferred
At Nelson Landay Group, our goal is to increasingly design and develop enhanced entrepreneurial alternatives across the nation. Our team is comprised of individuals from all backgrounds, experiences, and demographics who strive toward a common goal: high integrity, innovation, and success. Nelson Landay provides an effective strategy for our professionals to enjoy success professionally and personally. We take pride in our dedication to providing excellent products and services to our clients. Our mission is to maintain the highest level of standards and exceed quality standards. As a company that devotes a concerted effort to making a positive difference in the world, we highly value our team of experts. We firmly believe that our unique group of specialists is what makes our company the leader in the industry. We believe we have the top talent in the nation, and generously reward our employees.
Writing a Job Description Best Practices
- While the above is an excellent Sales Executive job description sample, there are situations where you do not have a template for help. Below are some key best practices for those instances, along with a few practical do’s and don’ts to ensure that you write an accurate and clear position description the first time, and save yourself the trouble of weeding through stacks of resumes from unqualified applicants.
- Do list the skills and requirements of the job from general to specific.
- Do include language to let the job seeker know you are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Don’t use wording suggestive of or stating preference for a particular gender, age, or race.
- Do state job qualifications and talents objectively.
- Do include salary and benefits details unless it against corporate policy.
- Do use an informal style to make your content readable and appealing to job seekers.
- Don’t include anything in the job description implying a guarantee or offer of employment.
- Don’t inflate the experience necessary or duties essential for success in the role.
- Do highlight your corporate environment and culture to give potential candidates more reasons to submit their resumes.
The Sales Executive job description sample above is a perfect example of how writing a clear posting can attract the best talent to join your company. Investing time upfront to write an accurate job description results into a healthy and wider pool of applicants.
Sales Executive Job Responsibilities
When writing a sales executive job description, communicating the daily duties the position demands is one of the most important tasks. Crafting the job responsibilities section of the posting is paramount to the success of your search for candidates. By giving adequate time and attention for effectively writing this section, you will fine-tune the filtering process and improve your chances of finding qualified candidates.
You should outline the responsibilities in a descriptive way but not to the point that it’s exhaustive. Striking a balance between being informative and overwhelming jobseekers is important. Avoid including secondary tasks that won’t factor much into the position. Also, when formatting this section of your sales executive job description, be sure to use a bulleted list. This simplification will further help applicants absorb the necessary information while reducing the amount of time they need to read it. Begin each item with a powerful verb and present only 6-8 primary managerial functions.
Here are some well-written sales executive job responsibilities for your reference:
- Negotiate pricing and terms of sales with clients and the sales manager
- Convey product or service information in a concise yet descriptive manner
- Organize prospects, clients and leads for maximum efficiency and accessibility
- Master the process of effectively communicating product value
Sales Executive Job Specifications
The job qualifications and skills section of the sales executive job description is the shortest portion of the document and is a list of basic requirements for applicants. It answers questions potential candidates may have regarding an employer’s stipulations for education and prior work experience.
While underestimating this section of your job posting is easy to do, that could be a dire mistake, even if you write the remainder of the posting well. This component has the potential to make a big difference when it comes to the number of applications you receive and the eligibility of those applicants. If the summary of qualifications comes across poorly, count on the former being high and the latter low.
This dilemma is easily avoided. Crucial to the success of your document is a consult with your company’s upper management concerning their expectations for applicants. Once you understand what they’re looking for, writing this section of your sales executive job description will become a much simpler task. Separating the deal-breakers from the preferred skills will also make it easier for jobseekers to assess their suitability for the position.
Take a look at a few examples of sales executive job specifications:
- 3 or more years’ experience in sales
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Sweeping knowledge and understanding of customer service principles
- Exceptional skill in persuasion and interpersonal communication