Writing a job posting that attracts attention is a vital component of locating and selecting the top talent. Weeding through stacks of applications from job seekers who miss the mark is not something hiring managers should be doing. A well-written posting facilitates sifting out unqualified applicants or those not excited to join your team before they choose to apply. Taking the time to write an on-target position description before the resumes flood your inbox will save you hours of time. Below is a Sales Manager job description sample to help you create an accurate job description.
Sales Manager Job Summary
You will be tasked with ensuring all branch revenue objectives and sales goals are met on a monthly basis. You will also monitor day-to-day sales performances, establish required modifications to accomplish sales budgets, and direct and ensure compliance with all corporate sales policies. As a manager, you will assess sales professionals’ skill sets and performance, and lead sales training in accordance with applicable laws and the organization’s policies. Other duties include planning, assigning and directing work, training new employees, rewarding and disciplining employees, performing field evaluations, and reducing commission overdraw.
Sales Manager Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Increase unit sales and commissions by developing, executing, and enforcing business sales practices
- Conduct daily sales posting meetings, weekly evening sales sessions, and weekly training rallies
- Work in the field with sales professionals daily to sustain minimum sales activity conditions
- Ensure all sales training specifications are realized
- Increase sales professionals’ productivity and negotiation skills
- Develop sales leads and establish follow-up plans
- Evaluate sales professionals’ effectiveness with sales formulas and aids
- Monitor and confirm sales professionals use creative sales methods and procedures in the field
- Portray an excellent quality image and management example
- Travel to various locations to assist with sales calls
- Develop scripts to assist sales professionals with strategies for improving performance
- Other duties as assigned
Sales Manager Skills and Qualifications
- Associate’s degree or equivalent
- Bachelor’s degree in business management or related field preferred
- 2-3 years of related experience in the industry
- 1-2 years of experience in sales management
- 3-5 years of outside sales experience
- Ability to analyze, review, and interpret professional journals, general business periodicals, governmental regulations, and technical procedures
- Proficiency in writing reports, business correspondence, and procedural manuals
- Expertise in presenting information and answering questions from the general public and groups of customers, clients, and managers
- Able to perform basic business mathematics and analyze sales data
- Valid driver’s license
Since 2006, HGA has been providing risk and compliance software for the private and public sectors. We help our clients develop better-regulated and safer working environments by modifying their strategy for Environmental, Health, and Safety (EHS) risk management. We produce manageable and intuitive software solutions to simplify automation of mission-critical EHS methods and keep current with complex audit and regulatory requirements. At HGA, our goal is to provide simple, intuitive, and site-ready computer software for diverse industries nationwide.
Writing a Job Description Best Practices
- While the above is an outstanding Sales Manager job description sample, you may find there are situations when you can’t locate an example to follow. Below are some basic best practices and practical do’s and don’ts for those times to ensure that you create an accurate posting and save yourself the trouble of filtering through piles of less experienced applicants.
- Do state job qualifications and experience accurately.
- Do write the posting in an informal, friendly style to make your content engaging and more attractive to potential applicants.
- Don’t imply or assert partiality for a particular age, gender, or race.
- Do list the general and specific tasks and responsibilities of the job.
- Don’t inflate the responsibilities or skills essential to success in the job.
- Don’t leave anything in the posting subject to the interpretation of an offer or promise of employment.
- Do include wording showing your business is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Do include pay and benefits details unless it against corporate policy.
- Do emphasize your mission and culture to provide more reasons for potential candidates to apply.
The Sales Manager job description sample above is a great example of a job posting that can attract the top talent and convince them to apply for the job. Investing time in writing an accurate position description results saving time later when you easily recruit and hire the best performer for the job.
Sales Manager Job Responsibilities
When it comes to the responsibilities section of your job listing, the primary goal is to attract the most outstanding sales manager who is willing to go above and beyond. An ideal start to crafting your post is to consider every aspect of the job itself. Because the job responsibilities section is the meatiest section of your sales manager job description, it is essential that you list tasks clearly and professionally. Candidates look to this section to decide whether they might be interested in the job, and detailed responsibilities can help them imagine themselves in the role.
Mirroring some of the tips on this page, make sure you write this section of your sales manager job description in a way that reads quickly and to the point. Giving the duties through a bullet-point list is an excellent way to provide information to busy applicants. Aim for 6-8 bullet points, and don’t place periods at the end of these phrases. Let your enthusiasm for the company shine through your words by starting each bullet point with an interesting action verb.
Below, you’ll find some example sales manager job responsibilities you can include:
- Determine and modify the focus of sales efforts based on customer feedback
- Analyze products and services to determine potential profitability
- Develop and manage customer acquisition efforts, including business-to-business marketing and direct sales techniques
- Oversee marketing teams, set goals and divide territories to improve sales results
Sales Manager Job Specifications
The skills section of your sales manager job description is another important feature of the listing. This area gives a set of specifications for those interested in applying for the position and informs candidates of the types of skills the company requires sales managers to possess.
Although the responsibilities section is likely the most profound area of your sales manager job description, don’t underestimate the job qualifications and skills section. An unfit manager on the job is not a good situation for anyone on the team, so make sure you word this section carefully so candidates can know what skills they need to move forward. Proofread for potentially confusing phrases, and don’t assume candidates already possess more common skills and experiences, such as Excel knowledge or a Bachelor’s degree.
Meet with your hiring manager or senior leadership to ensure you’ve hit all of the major points of the position. Divide essential hard and soft skills from those your company prefers, and list them accordingly. For further assistance, look to the example sales manager job specifications below:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, management, marketing or economics
- 3 years’ experience in sales management
- Familiarity with spreadsheets and presentation strategies
- Exceptional communication and management skills
- Positive demeanor with strong ethics and values