Sales associates perform a variety of tasks related to helping customers find and purchase what they need. These tasks include explaining the benefits of different product offerings, answering questions, guiding customers to the right choice based on their needs and processing payments.
When writing the skills portion of a sales job description, it is important to remember that sales workers are constantly interacting with customers, so they must have good interpersonal and communication skills. Selling skills are also important because sales positions frequently require persuasive interactions with customers to demonstrate how products meet customer needs.
Salespeople often work individually, but functioning as part of a team is just as critical. Teamwork and leadership skills, therefore, are important for any sales job, so be sure to reference them when you create your sales job description. Take a look at the example below to learn more.
Sales Job Summary
Are you a persuasive seller who loves interacting with people in a fast-paced environment? If so, you could be an excellent fit for our sales team. We are looking for a candidate who is an energetic, results-driven self-starter to help manage our diverse clientele. Under the supervision of the sales manager, you will have the opportunity to provide top-of-the-line service to existing accounts and contact prospective clients to gain new accounts. Creative skills are a major plus, and you will have the chance to utilize your problem-solving prowess in developing innovative solutions for our clients. We provide the best training in the business and a multitude of opportunities for rapid advancement.
- Contact current and potential clients on a daily basis to provide detailed explanations of products, demonstrate product function and perform miscellaneous account service tasks
- Gather information and make recommendations about current product offerings based on client needs when the opportunity presents itself
- Quote prices, terms and conditions, contract details and service delivery dates
- Resolve problems with existing accounts by researching issues, proposing solutions and initiating corrective action with the appropriate manager
- Write up prospective client contract bids that effectively sell our products’ value and our ability to deliver top quality service
- Promote growth by following leads for prospective clients, researching business directories, attending trade shows and responding to formal inquiries
- Monitor our competitors’ product lines, prices and promotional campaigns along with overall market conditions in the region
- Prepare budgets, expense reports, sales records and other official documents as a part of general administrative duties
- Research and obtain credit history for interested clients when necessary
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to resolve conflicts in a professional manner
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office programs, including Word and Excel
- Previous sales experience
- 3-5 years of previous outside sales experience
- Experience writing contract bids
As important as it is to write a compelling sales job description that attracts the right type of candidates, this is only the first step in making a great hire. The next step in the process is putting your posting in the right place so the people you would be interesting in hiring will see it.
Online job boards are some of the best and most popular venues for posting job descriptions, remember to utilize your company website and social networks as well. You can also empower your current employees to use their own networking skills to find and refer talent to your company. Regardless of the methods you choose, however, the process can be quite time-consuming. To simplify things, consider using MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free to hundreds of job boards all at once.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter