A Salesforce developer may design, code, test and implement new Salesforce software applications to meet project objectives and support new or expanding business objectives. Many aspects of the job are similar to those of a software developer, including analysis, testing and deployment of new or updated software applications.
Your Salesforce developer job description should include technical proficiency with the Salesforce platform along with general software development expertise. Candidates should be able to participate in the entire development lifecycle from design through deployment. Ability to code in the Apex language is essential, and knowledge of other coding languages is helpful.
A Salesforce developer should understand the basic principles of business software design and customer relationship management. Creativity and analytical skills are also important. Read through the Salesforce developer job description below to see what other information to include in your own job listing.
Salesforce Developer Job Summary
Are you an experienced Salesforce developer who is always looking for new ways to solve problems, meet challenges and improve software capability and functionality? If so, we want you to join our team and contribute your expertise to design and build world-class applications to meet evolving requirements and improve our internal and client-facing Salesforce environment. You will be working in a supportive and fast-paced team with some of the top experts in the Salesforce development industry and will enjoy numerous opportunities to increase your professional knowledge and acquire prestigious certifications. Bring your passion for elegant coding and customized design to our company and enjoy excellent pay and benefits, a generous vacation package and unique advancement opportunities.
- Develop customized solutions within the Salesforce platform to support critical business functions and meet project objectives, client requirements and company goals
- Manage daily support and maintenance of internal Salesforce instance, and conduct long-term improvement operations to ensure compatibility with evolving mission requirements
- Communicate with project managers, clients and other developers to design cohesive project strategies and ensure effective collaboration throughout all phases of development, testing and deployment
- Maintain a flexible and proactive work environment to facilitate a quick response to changing project requirements and customer objectives, and innovate ways to meet mission goals successfully
- Interact directly with clients, managers and end users as necessary to analyze project objectives and capability requirements, including specifications for user interfaces, customized applications and interactions with internal Salesforce instances
- Provide system administration support of internal and customer-facing Salesforce environment, especially related to customized applications, user permissions, security settings, custom objects and workflow
- Collaborate with various internal departments, including marketing, product development and operations, to ensure Salesforce environment supports internal needs relating to functionality and performance
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science
- Minimum work experience: eight years of software development and four years of Salesforce application development
- Self-motivated and creative
- Salesforce Developer Certification
- Experience developing customer-facing user interfaces
Salesforce Developer Job Responsibilities
The only thing more essential to your sales team than Salesforce software is a Salesforce developer who can customize Salesforce to improve the utilization and effectiveness within your sales organization. Finding that developer, though, can feel like an exercise in futility or blind luck, but it doesn’t have to. You can take the random chance out of the candidate search process and improve the quality of your applicants by writing a more effective Salesforce developer job description.
It’s hard to think of a job description as exciting, but when you write descriptions specifically designed to engage the reader, you make your job posting stand out from the crowd of overly long, dryly-written task lists full of mundane responsibilities. Instead, your substantial Salesforce developer job description should use powerful action verbs and a brief list of bullets to cover the high touch points of the role and its expectations, focusing on top-level deliverables and requirements that portray the candidate as an active member of your company and development team.
For example, see our Salesforce developer job responsibilities
- Create applications to interface with Salesforce and Salesforce.com
- Evaluate existing sales processes and determine potential Salesforce-enabled enhancements
- Oversee solutions design and delivery, including integration with existing architecture
- Identify opportunities for sales automation
- Collaborate with business application owners to advance development of key market tools
Salesforce Developer Job Specifications
Still inundated with more applications than you can handle? Then your Salesforce developer job description needs a clarified list of job specifications. Let’s say you need someone with both Java skills and experience with Visualforce, but having expertise with Salesforce Lightning isn’t that important, it’s just a nice bonus. Weed out candidates who focus solely on Lightning or don’t have additional skills in Java by listing those in your mandatory requirements for the job.
These requirements don’t just help candidates compare themselves against criteria, they also help you by giving you a codified checklist to review against when applications hit your inbox. You can drastically reduce applicant screening time by reviewing for your job specifications first, before checking for the experience covered in your Salesforce developer job description. To make sure your new developer will be a good fit, be sure to check with other employees he or she might work with to see what’s essential to them, as well, and use that to refine a brief list of bulleted specifications.
Our example Salesforce developer job specifications should help you figure out how to write yours. Take a look:
In-depth knowledge of APEX, Visualforce, and Salesforce Lightning 5+ years in application development, 3+ years with Salesforce development Extensive knowledge of Salesforce security models Deep insight into the technology sales sector and sales enablement Proven background launching start-ups using sales automation