In the woodworking shop, sawing machine setters work with specialized machines, such as CNC machines. They take blueprints or written instructions and make furniture, cabinets or other products using wood. They measure, trim and adjust the specifications to make sure the final product meets quality standards.
When you put together a sawing machine setter job description, you’ll need an understanding of the daily responsibilities and typical qualifications for the job. Those in this role usually need to possess a high school diploma or similar credential. Many employers look for candidates with experience, and there is also a certification process for some positions.
Proficient sawing machine setters should be detail-oriented, technically savvy and excellent in math. You can find out additional information about what kind of person to look for in the hiring process by checking out the sawing machine setter job description template below.
Sawing Machine Setter Job Summary
Ready to put your woodworking talents and CNC machine skills to the ultimate test? We need highly motivated and technically skilled sawing machine setters to join our furniture design and manufacturing team. You may be right for this position if you are committed to excellent craftsmanship and take pride in your work habits in the woodworking shop. In this position, you would be responsible for operating the CNC machine and following our designer’s blueprints to create pieces for our iconic furniture selections. You can help continue our company’s reputation of building long-lasting heirloom furniture by producing incredible, top-quality products in your daily tasks.
- Mark project pieces to indicate where cuts or adjustments are necessary, and use measuring tools to ensure each cut is accurate
- Modify the angle and cutting strength of the CNC machine’s saw blades to match the specific style, and look for the final product’s design
- Load different types of saw blades into the machine, depending on the needs of the product, and replace worn blades when required
- Cut wood pieces using CNC machines or other types of mechanical saw machines, such as crozer machines, circular saws, band saws or scroll saws
- Assess raw pieces of wood for project suitability, and discard any pieces that don’t meet quality standards
- Use sharpening tools and files to keep saw blades properly sharpened each day, and inspect blades periodically to see when it’s time to replace an older part
- Wear safety equipment when working in the woodshop, such as eye protection and hand protection, to follow all industry safety standards and avoid accidental injury
- Maintain a well-lubricated saw machine by applying solvent or grease each day, and clean machines after each shift with manufacturer-recommended products
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED
- One or more years of experience operating a CNC machine
- Excellent math and measuring skills
- Ability to read blueprints
- Completion of a woodworking apprenticeship
- National Woodworker’s Association certificate
If you are happy with the quality of your sawing machine setter job description, you have completed the first step in getting a great person to join the team. Now, it’s time to decide how the job posting will be publicized.
Workers in the skilled trades industry may look for jobs in a variety of ways. Many sawing machine setters may get job referrals from other people in the industry or through former colleagues. Some might look up individual company websites, so it’s smart to post your job description on your social media or company site. They also often look on the many available job boards, but posting there can take time. If you want to reach as many potential candidates as possible, try using MightyRecruiter to post to free job boards and get better results.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter