Secondary school teachers are responsible for providing education to students ranging from 6th to 12th grade. They prepare students for the future by teaching problem solving skills, methods for critical thinking and basic concepts of the required subjects. Secondary school teachers should use proven teaching methods to teach students content that is necessary for passing required state tests. They must also create a positive environment in the classroom that is both disciplined and relaxed when necessary.
When you are composing your secondary school teacher job description, you may want to focus on the ability teachers have to change the lives of students. Specify the need for patience, creativity and good multi-tasking skills. A good secondary school teacher can also help students get excited about education and motivate them to go on and find a career they love.
You want a teacher that is an active listener and learner, has a strong understanding of math, reading and science and has the ability to speak and write clearly. Use the secondary school teacher job description template below to help you write your job description.
Secondary School Teacher Job Summary
Do you love influencing the lives of others by sharing valuable knowledge that they will remember for years to come? Do you find happiness in building a strong foundation for education and adding to the building blocks of a successful career for a student? If so, you may be a good fit as our newest secondary school teacher. The engaging, creative atmosphere in our school is perfect for a teacher who wants to be innovative and take the initiative when it comes to new methods of learning. You will be a valued member of our school team and will begin making a difference to every student in your classes.
- Plan lessons in specific subjects and present them to students using creative teaching techniques in engaging ways daily.
- Assess the weaknesses, strengths and abilities of every student each week and address them appropriately.
- Maintain obvious rules for a disciplined classroom that still allows students to feel comfortable asking questions and brainstorming.
- Adapt lesson plans when class sizes change or students are struggling with a particularly difficult concept.
- Report to department chair or administrator monthly regarding concepts you feel are or are not working, students who require special attention or problems you foresee affecting the ability of students to learn.
- Understand the standardized state tests and adequately prepare students to pass them, building confidence in their ability to demonstrate what they have learned during the school year.
- Contact parents when necessary, communicating any special needs or concerns you feel their child needs or complimenting a student on a good job in class.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree
- One semester of student teaching or internship
- Certification in preferred subject area
- Previous experience teaching
- Additional certifications for additional subjects
If you want to hire a secondary school teacher who understands the content being taught, influences students positively and reflects the values of your school and district, then the job description is the perfect place to start attracting the right type of candidates. Teachers looking for jobs will turn to many places to find openings, and some are more popular than others.
Teachers may also network through their university, friends on social media or professional websites like LinkedIn to get a job, but online job boards are still the most popular way to get the word out about a new position. Rather than posting your secondary school teacher job description one by one to the thousands of job boards out there, you can use a tool like MightyRecruiter to post to job boards for free in hundreds of places at once.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter