Security analysts are in charge of keeping an organization’s sensitive data away from unauthorized individuals. They do this by continuously monitoring network activity, configuring hardware and software designed to protect against information breaches, and running tests to reveal system vulnerabilities. They may recommend enhancements, develop standards and educate users to prevent cyberattacks and intrusions.
Ingenuity is often highlighted in a security analyst job description. It’s necessary to think in the mind of a criminal and anticipate how someone might try to break in to take measures to prevent it. Attention to detail is key in such a role, as security analysts often have to watch for small signs of danger and changes in performance.
Your security analyst job description should mention your need for an excellent problem solver. Successful troubleshooting often requires extensive investigation to discover and resolve flaws that may be unique to a particular network.
Security Analyst Job Summary
Do you have the eye of a skilled detective? Our corporation is looking for a security analyst to help us maintain confidentiality in all business processes. Part of your job is ensuring both networking equipment and client machines are up to date with the latest software and firmware updates. You’ll use your acumen along with monitoring tools to detect and address suspicious activity. You’ll receive training and full support from the manufacturers of our state-of-the-art equipment. We’ll be listening to and implementing your recommendations to tighten any areas of vulnerability. In case of attack, you and your colleagues will be trusted to make snap judgements to minimize loss and restore functionality.
- Carry out drills and risk assessments to ensure the practical function of established protective measures, recommending and implementing adjustments as needed
- Configure and adjust virtual private networks, encryption channels and firewalls, balancing performance alongside ease of use and prudence
- Monitor log files, network traffic and recorded events for unusual activity, researching trends and consulting with others to assure staff data is safe
- Manage rights and permissions, creating and modifying user groups of similar profiles, changing and customizing access properties upon request
- Establish procedures for how data is backed up and archived, maintaining compliance with federal regulations
- Develop information policies to govern how employees and contractors handle email, messaging, printing and mobile devices
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues thoroughly, be it individually, as a team or with outside assistance, documenting findings for the benefit of other IT staff
- Contribute to annual training program to update employees on IT policy changes and help stop preventable breaches
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Five years’ experience in a network or database administration role in an enterprise environment
- Active CISSP, OSCP or GCIA certification
- Able to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Python knowledge to automate certain tasks
Now that you know what’s involved in writing a great security analyst job description, it’s time to give attention to your posting strategy. Many of today’s IT professionals are active on social networks, so check to make sure your company has a presence on all of the major ones. Does your corporation’s page give an accurate description of your organization’s culture, leaving a positive impression on visitors?
Once your post goes live, it’s important to promote it, as the more exposure it gets, the more likely it will reach both passive and active job seekers. Some hiring managers are surprised to know that candidates use 17.7 different channels when searching for openings. MightyRecruiter can draw significant traffic to your ad by allowing you to post to free job boards.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter